NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser pointer are dangerous, so...

Ags

Having been on the receiving end of an idiot with a laser pointer, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed thus far.

It is fair to say that it is with the idiot holding the pointer that I have a problem, not with the aware careful users. Would you believe that people give these things to kids to play with!! A simple registration scheme would sort the issue. Most of the offenders would struggle with the application form......

Paul

I dont quite understand the dangerous aspect if they are used correctly and are of the legal power rating, I guess most people who drive cars have 5mW ones shone into there eyes everyday as part of traffic management/measurement and speed cameras etc.

Alan

Well, I was just thinking a very small design change might render them less of a problem in the hands of either the irresponsible, or in the cases of legitimate use where something goes wrong.

I agree with the sentimentiment it’s not the ‘tool’ that’s dangerous it’s the person using it.  These are quite safe to use so long as some simple precautions are followed.  Though I have to say that location is an I important element here, for example if you’re observing underneath the flight path of an airport then common sense dictates that this is a no go area for lasers.

I use a laser pointer in conjunction with my Sphinx SXW and 8” SCT, it is a useful initial star alignment tool, it allows me to zero in swiftly on a target star without having to peer into my  finderscope.  Once star alignment has been achieved the pointer can be switched off, though I have used it to paint targets for fellow astronomers, and on occassion for some of my imaging colleagues who do not have goto capability.

Paul.

11 hours ago, Paul73 said:

A sound question.

For Astro, other than for public pointing, ie, lecturing/ outreach, I can’t really see why you would need one?

Paul

Tools perform a useful function. My pointer finds targets without having to get in strange positions with my DOB and further screwing up my arthritis...

I live under an airway but I can tell the difference between aircraft nav lights and stars so no problems in 10 years.

My mount has a built in laser for initial alignment, but living under / near the flight paths of both Heathrow and RAF Northholt, using it would be a good way of having black-clad heavies dropping down on ropes from helicopters.

Ground the planes! It's the only sensible thing to do!! :hello2:

The benefits would be that atmospheric pollution would fall massively :hello2:

No more continuous contrails webbing the skies from horizon to horizon :hello2:

No one would have to fret about air cabin portability :hello2:

Seeing conditions across the UK and the rest of the world will improve drastically, with better transparency and superior definition :hello2:

If no one can fly anywhere, think of the money they'll save :hello2:

More money for eyepieces and telescopes :hello2:

laser pointers could be used without the worry of having the SAS dropping out of the skies like spider man, and beating you to death in front of your kids. :hello2:

Finally, ban laser pointers; the darn things are dangerous! Whats wrong with pointing with your fingers and explaining where to look? :hello2:

:grin:

Archived