Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with optics in new equipment

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there guys, true to my words i let you all know how things are going with my telescope and my adventures in my new hobby.

Like you all know, i have to leave home w/o receiving the 152mm Orion 6I Intelliscope, went on the road two days before it show up.

My brother went home and took a look at the telescope box and give me a bad news about it, it was heavy damaged on one side and it seems that somebody had pick up a packet from inside it and put it back in the box in a hurry, it was almost falling out of it again.

He sent me some pictures and i contact Orion on the phone and they agree to refund me the money and pay for the return of the box. Happy (at least) to do business with a good company willing to please their clients. Already my brother took care of the return.

Immediately i began looking for options to replace it and went with a scope that althoug it`s smaller, do have very good reviews and it seems very capable of giving good images of the sky, its a collapsible AWB 130mm made by Celestron (Sky Watcher Heritage 130P in Europe) that it`s lighter (just 13.5 lbs and also a F5 scope) and more comfortable to bring it with me in the truck during my trips. The collapsible tube and the 10 pounds lighter are very important plusses for having it in the truck.

Scope is in new condition (still is in the original box), i won the auction in Ebay yesterday, hope to have it in home (w/o damage) by my return end of February.

The only minus point with this scope are the eyepieces, it come with two Kellners 10 and 25mm, i did some shopping and end of the evening was the proud owner of a GSO 2.5X 3 element Barlow, two Series 4000 lenses, a 9.7 and a 26mm, 1 Sky Planetary 58° UWA 5mm and one Svbony (cheap but with good reviews in Amazon) 40mm Plossl for wide field observations. Just to round the whole thing, one standard 13% transmission lunar filter and a Celestron aluminum box to take care of all the eyepieces.

That`s so far the news, no 6" intelliscope but well a 5.1" one with good optics (at least imho). Hope it give me good images of the sky in the future.

Just are very curious to see how the scope will handle the 5mm UWA eyepiece with the 2.5X Barlow, for my calculations it will be close to 300X, don`t know what it will happen at such magnifications with just 130mm aperture.

Any recommendation about the optics or any other thing to have in consideration, is welcome to have it, being new in this hobby, is good to have guidance form the ones who really do know.

So far the 15 x 70 Celestron binoculars and the 130mm F5 Celestron. Probably sometime in the future, a 10" or 12" dobsonian will be appropiate for having it at home for further exploration and better images of the sky.

Thanks for all your help, clear skies and good luck.

astronomers-without-borders-onesky.jpg.ed57e65aa9c0cc1148e44639c5a4b893.jpg

Archived