Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WOW! WHAT A START!

Hungrymark

I've always had a vague interest in astronomy and hankered after a telescope, finally had the means and the land to justify a proper one (well, an 8" dob) and wow, is it addictive! 

I've seen all sorts already and I've been at it for a month. Andromeda (including M32 and M110), M42/43 and the trapezium, M81 and M82, M36-38, M1, M35, the Eskimo nebula, various NGC clusters, various doubles and all from my back garden. I'm on the edge of a small market town so LP is present but not too intrusive. Piece de resistance was M33 tonight.  Just a faint blur, obviously, and after I'd had a celebratory beer I couldn't find it again but I'm in no doubt. The girl next door hanging out of her window smoking a fag must have thought I was nuts, I was literally dancing with glee. Can't wait to get to an actual dark site. Fantastic!

Sounds like you have got off to a flying start - well done! You seem to be finding your way around the sky and are getting on well with your scope (excellent choice by the way). M33 is not easy so well done, bodes well for the future. Look forward to some more detailed observing reports in the future - perhaps you can try and describe the objects in more detail - it will be good practice in helping you to learn to 'see' objects, a skill which you will acquire as you do more observing. :smiley:

9 hours ago, RobertI said:

Sounds like you have got off to a flying start - well done! You seem to be finding your way around the sky and are getting on well with your scope (excellent choice by the way). M33 is not easy so well done, bodes well for the future. Look forward to some more detailed observing reports in the future - perhaps you can try and describe the objects in more detail - it will be good practice in helping you to learn to 'see' objects, a skill which you will acquire as you do more observing. :smiley:

Yeah, I need to start making notes, to keep track if nothing else! 

Archived