NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lightest mount for a 5" reflector

JoeP

I'm finding my AZ4 mount too heavy for my 5" reflector, and would like something lighter; ideally light enough to be able to carry both the mount and scope together as a quick grab and go set up. I was considering the possibility of an Astromaster steel tripod with the az4 head, though this might be still too heavy. Another option would be the skywatcher pronto, though that's stretching my budget. I'd rather stay below £100 (assuming I've sold the the az4). Thanks

Which scope is it Joe? They can vary quite a bit in weight and length so that would help.

You may struggle to find anything lighter which is still sturdy enough. Do you do much high power observing, planetary etc, or mainly low to mid power DSO?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Which scope is it Joe? They can vary quite a bit in weight and length so that would help.

You may struggle to find anything lighter which is still sturdy enough. Do you do much high power observing, planetary etc, or mainly low to mid power DSO?

It's this telescope (without the mount). I think it weighs about 3ish kg.

I have one at home and am at work at the moment, but looking at the specs on the FLO and TS websites, they state the following weights.

AZ4 & Steel Tripod = 8.10kg

AZ4 & Aluminium Tripod = 5.90kg

Given that the difference between the two weights is 2.20kg, this suggests a weight of 2.20kg for the head only.

From my experience, I think that 2.20kg sounds about right.

Ade

34 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I have one at home and am at work at the moment, but looking at the specs on the FLO and TS websites, they state the following weights.

AZ4 & Steel Tripod = 8.10kg

AZ4 & Aluminium Tripod = 5.90kg

Given that the difference between the two weights is 2.20kg, this suggests a weight of 2.20kg for the head only.

From my experience, I think that 2.20kg sounds about right.

Ade

Curious logic....

I think I remember it being around 3kg.

These things are always compromises somewhere along the line, either weight, stability or price has to give!

A decent photo tripod might save a lot of weight, but depending upon budget it would potentially lose stability or not be cheap! I use a Gitzo which does a very good job at low weight but high price.

The mini Ercole might save you a kilo or so, depending upon the actual weight of the AZ4 head (hence my question).

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Instumente-bis-9-kg.html

18 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

What about the heritage 130p dob base.

I quite like that idea. Would it fit though? The dovetail on my scope it quite small and in the middle.

The other option would be to get the whole flextube and sell the scope I've currently got. 

40 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Curious logic....

I think I remember it being around 3kg.

I just figured that if the head is the same, but the tripods differ then the difference in the two weights would equate to the weight of the AZ4 head.  

However, now I've had a cup of coffee and a think I can see that the difference might all be down to the Ally Tripod alone. D'Oh!!

I'll weigh the head when I get home tonight.

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I have one at home and am at work at the moment,                

Ade

11 minutes ago, AdeKing said: 

I'll weigh the head when I get home tonight.

Does your boss know you are on SGL at work ?

We will not tell anyone ?

57 minutes ago, Alan White said:

AZ4 head is 3.1 kg as I weighed it last night to pack as I have sold it.

Thanks @Alan White that has saved me a job when I get home.

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Does your boss know you are on SGL at work ?

We will not tell anyone ?

I was on my Coffee break, honest Guvnor ;)

I'm quite tempted by the tabletop dob mount. There's one on astroboot at the moment, it's just whether it will fit. Could someone measure the distance from the dovetail clamp to the base on the mount?

Archived