Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular Sky Newsletter, January 2018

The January 2018 edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready to download. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:

* Several lunar occultations, including a graze for southern England
* Mira at maximum
* Last chance to see Neptune this apparition
* Comet Heinze: will it deliver?
* A review of the binocular book you should want to read

So, if the sky is clear, grab your binocs (or small telescope) and head out to enjoy, and share with others, what nature has to offer us this month. I hope you find it useful.

Please note that the charts are necessarily of low resolution, but clicking on them will take you to a higher resolution version.

To grab your (free!) copy, or to subscribe (also free) and receive it monthly, please go to http://binocularsky.com and click on the 'Newsletter' tab.

Got mine too Steve, thanks! A great fireside read on these dank, damp nights..

I just nabbed a brand new pair of Pentax SP Porro 8x40s (non waterproof version) on Amazon UK for a silly price (usually retail around £100). They should arrive on Tuesday and I'm looking forward to comparing them to my new Opticron Adventurer's 10x50s.

The Pentax have an 8.2 degree field vs the 6 degrees of the Opticrons..should be an interesting comparison?.

Dave

15 hours ago, F15Rules said:

The Pentax have an 8.2 degree field vs the 6 degrees of the Opticrons..should be an interesting comparison?.

I'm becoming increasingly enamoured of wide fields of view (as long as they are reasonably crisp at the periphery). I get 9* from my 6.5x32 Vixen and it is vying with the 10x50 Lunt to be my favourite purely hand-held astro binocular. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Pentax.

• 2 weeks later...

A belated thank you, Steve, for the January Newsletter. The usual high standard. If I got round to looking at all that was ever suggested I would be a very happy observer. Thanks too for the review of Binoculars: Fallacy & Fact. I've occasionally followed Bill's words and reviews on cloudynights and have appreciated his very obvious knowledgeable insights. I have a birthday coming up so Bill's  book is a definite item. 

Archived