Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2017 T1 Heinze

My first target this morning at around 2am was comet C/2017 T1 Heinze. The comet was easily located using sky safari 5 and the Nexus push-to system on my 20" dob.

My notes say

"With the Ethos10 (x200) in the scope, I nudged over to where it should be. Nudged around a bit more… Here it is! The comet appears as a small bright patch around a bright dot central core. There is a lot of faint dust coming off covering a large area making it a fairly faint object overall to see. The dust circle was up to about half the Ethos FOV @x200. There was a possible tail heading east (but this may have been a background or atmospheric distraction – need to see an image to confirm)."

11 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks for the write up, Alan :) How bright was the comet? Do you think this can be seen with smaller apertures?

Its probably brighter than comet C/2017 O1 (the last one I saw in October) and the conditions were not the best last night so there may be some hope for smaller aperture. But its not a bright comet for sure (big & diffuse).

I had another crack at C/2017 T1 Heinze tonight. It was located in Cassiopia.

I was using the 20" dob. It was 2230 and the moon was starting to brighten in the east :( 

Wow, it was hard to find! Sky Safari had it sitting next to a bright star which I centered on. Nope. (Who works out these published brightnesses???)

Eventually, after a few passes I caught it in averted vision. It was a small fuzzy patch sitting to the right of two bright stars (Phew).

I tried a few different magnifications but it didn't improve. Best view was ethos10 (x200) for me.

C/2016 R2 PANSTARRS was better (see my other post).

I will try to keep popping back now the moon is on the wain (Hurrah!)

Archived