Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help finding a quality scope

Hey everybody, I’m thinking about picking up a new telescope this year. My budget is about $1000. The features I would like to have with my scope would be it’s GPS enabled, computerized motor system, an HD camera etc. I’m sure you know what I’m looking for. Anyone who could help steer me in in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Don't think it is possible.

An EQ5 Pro is £550, likely about $600+ in what I assume is the US, the GPS is addirtional as it is not a standard item as best I know. iOptron mounts have GPS but say the 30lb model is around $1100-1200

Scope the new WO Z73 is nice but still a doublet, that is close to $600 US (was looking at it last night, think it said $588). Better is the ES 80ED FCD-100 at around $1000, it is a good triplet. Add a flatener at around $200. Believe me $4000-$5000 on a scope is easy to spend.

Camera, more difficult the ZWO 174 is a nicce size, not APS but not so small you need a miscroscope to see it. Presume around $600 based on the cost here. ZWO have a new 183 just out they are $880, standard OSC and uncooled. If you want mono they are $1000 and you need a filter wheel and filters. That would make $1000 easily, good filters are not cheap. Actually not good filters are also not cheap.

So far that is mount $600, scope $600, camera $600. Allocate say $400 for attachments and power supplies, and so far $2200. Simply a good single scope or mount or camera is itself over $1000.

To get going with half reasonable equipment these days it is going to be around $1500 and that is likely to be with a DSLR that you happen to already own or can get to to make use of.

hehehehe

It is like you need $1000 for mount, $1000 for scope, $1000 for camera, $1000 for eyepieces or accessories.

I spent nearly $4K so far and still not at high level yet and not done yet, funny that i am still without a good scope regardless of that much i spent.

On 20-12-2017 at 01:36, GalacticFunatic said:

Hey everybody, I’m thinking about picking up a new telescope this year. My budget is about $1000. The features I would like to have with my scope would be it’s GPS enabled, computerized motor system, an HD camera etc. I’m sure you know what I’m looking for. Anyone who could help steer me in in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Well, you will have to adjust one or the other: your budget or your wishes...

I think we do know what you are looking for: an out of space super deal... no chance, alas. 

Archived