sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Need tips for solar outreach events

Hello!

So I need little bit help to make my solar outreach events better.

Usually most of my solarsolevents events have been for schools and little bit for general public  But now I am going more towards college students and arranging events specific for solar observation. (It used to be more like complimentary with night sky observations)

Since I am not a science student (learning physics by myself only), I don't have exact idea about what topics should I cover in theory. (Also what should I learn as well)

Usually I take a projected image of the sun using my 90mm refractor and do H-alpha observation using my Lunt 50mm telescope. As for theory, I cover little bit about nuclear fusion, sun as a magnet, little bit about solar spectrum. If time allows then I refer Sun's images like magnetogram and all to have a better idea.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Because it looks like I am still the only one here taking H-alpha observationsobservation.

P.s. I will be putting up this question in solarchat as well. But more help will be better!

Thanks!

EDIT : currently I am thinking about adding a small radio telescope. Also, looking out for something to make so that I can see the solar spectrum much better.

Edited by Rhushikesh-Canisminor
  • Like 2

There is not a lot to add to that which you appear to be doing well. We do outreach solar observing here at the Astronomy Centre, we make an effort to try and make sure the visitors appreciate the huge scale of the activity that they are seeing and also that the Sun is just another star amongst all the others seen in the night sky, just that the Sun is the only one close enough to see such detail.  Keep up the good work.   :icon_biggrin: 

• Thanks 1
On 16/12/2017 at 19:09, ollypenrice said:

Do you discuss hydrostatic equilibrium? This would allow you to move on to the deaths of stars and the three scenarios, planeary nebula-white dwarf/Neutron Star/Black Hole.

Olly

The topic does come up little bit here and there, but not in details. I do explain more of basic though (Since mostly the crowd is from non physics background)

It occurs that my main issue is that I don't know exactly what topics should I cover during the session (even though I happen to know the concepts). I need to make my session good enough that at least someone from the students should think about taking Solar Physics as a career.

• 1 month later...

According to your audience keep it as simple as possible. IMO.

Every TV interview with an enthusiast [in any subject] crashes as soon as the hobbyist starts spouting "fancy" terms and data. IMHO.

It just looks and sounds as if they are showing off or being a total boor. IMO.

They can't help themselves. They are obsessives and sound like it except to each other. IMO.

By all means respond to direct questions [if you can] but use short, measured answers.

Most of it will go over their heads anyway so why pretend to be a Bohr if you're not?

You can't keep the rest of the group on board while you're rattling on and on.

Have answers rehearsed for interesting measures of scale [as Peter says] and the names of the most visible objects and phenomena.

Budding solar/nuclear physicists can and will/should do their own homework.  They are already interested, or not.

I'd concentrate on showing moving solar views to groups rather than individuals queuing for a very brief glimpse through an unfamiliar eyepiece.

But do have a PST handy for live views to hammer home the reality show if you have one.

Do remember that they won't have an 'educated' eye to see all you can see completely effortlessly from long practice.

Try looking through an eyepiece with your "wrong" eye. It is usually blurred and blindingly bright. Or is it just me?

Binocular views are probably the best chance of them actually seeing something useful to their visual senses.

What about powerful binoculars with well secured solar objective film on a simple, driven mounting?

An 80-90mm, white light filtered refractor with sun screen?

I know TV screens are a bit of a secondhand experience but they can provide continuous and vital group interest.

Particularly if the connection to something 'live' is obvious. THIS screen is the showing the view through THIS telescope live.

Do try to have video or live feeds. If they just wanted a few pretty stills of the Sun they'd just go online.

NO reason not to print out some usefully labelled professional stills on boards for educational purposes.

Most people are very used to accessing information via monitors these days.

Just make sure outdoor screens are well shaded against the Sun. Or why bother?

Sun? What Sun? What do you do if the Sun isn't shining? Show a slide show?

I suppose this ridiculously long answer makes me a complete and utter Bohr boor?

Do what I said. Not as I just did! KISS!   :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SuburbanMak
      I almost hesitate to ask this but ahem, here goes... 
      My EBay white light filter turned up today & I scurried out into the garden like an excited child on Christmas morning. 

After a bit of faffing I have it clamped to the ST80 and using the equally cheap but pleasingly effective SV-Bony pinhole projector finder (can’t believe it just slotted in and is aligned as there’s no way to adjust) there is a lovely big, crisp, solar disc. 

Can’t see any sunspots though - and here’s the dumb question - is there just nothing doing today or am I missing a trick? 

Any beginner tips on white light observation gratefully received...

• By sandconp
      I currently have a ZWO 178MC OSC planetary camera.  Everybody tells me that I need to get a mono chrome camera for solar imaging. I have narrowed it down to two cameras the ZWO ASI178MM or the ASI174MM.  The ASI174MM is quite a bit more expensive and I am not sure why?

I have a Lunt 60MM HA f/7 Solar scope and looking for recommendations.

• By chops
      I'm posting in the hope it helps anyone else considering a Daystar Scout SS60. The video's not quite representative of what one sees looking through the scope, but gives a general idea of field of view through a 24mm EP.  When observing, much more prominence detail and surface texture is visible to the eye and the colour feels less red than it appears in the vid.
      I'd have taken this video sooner if I'd realised that afocal video would work so well, so I'll try again next time the sun's available earlier in the day during better seeing. The video's taken by holding an iPhone against an Explore Scientific 24mm eyepiece and adjusting exposure (i.e. afocal video photography). Although I find a Plossl as easy (if not easier) to use as a wide EP for observing, it's simpler to align a smartphone with an eyepiece that has a wider field of view, for afocal video. Hence I used a 24mm ExSc (see below for detail). It seems a fairly quiet solar day, not long after the notoriously quiet 2020 and I believe is still close to the beginning of the sun's new 11 year cycle (hopefully it will become more exciting soon but not as exciting as having any Carrington Events pointing towards us).
      I spent some hours, from late morning, watching these prominences form, dissipate and reform. The prom on the Western limb was very tall and bright, looking like a large rectangular tower block, which gradually split, faded as the top looped over to the north, then the top looped back again to the south. At one point this loop appeared to join - forming the outline of the head of a man, whose figure, with arms out, was clear and rather funny. Wish I'd taken this video sooner (or had the ASI183 to hand). The prom quietened and reached its current state (3pm ish) as seen in the video.
      The long group of prominences to the South - 4 main and some smaller - were more dim than the prom on the Western limb initially, but they remained impressive, ranging from good to very small and appeared at one point to be as clear row of pine trees, especially the larger right hand prom, with spiky 'branches' and a distinctive triangular fir tree shape, which gradually brightened then faded to this view. The tip of the ‘sharks fin’ to the left of the group extended out to the east then receded.
      I'm afraid it's not easy to see the detail in such a simple video - it's slighly more visible to the naked eye. By the time I took this video it had gone 3pm, there was more haze and a lower sun and none of the prominences were particularly impressive.
      There were No sunspots easily visible, although a Plage appeared to be visible close to the Westerly limb. Little surface detail other than orange peel, despite tuning the scope (better with the SS60s dial to left of centre for this today). I still need to lots more time with the scope to get the best from it.
      I'm a Ha beginner having only observed in whitelight before and only having used this scope twice before, once in combination with a ZWO ASI 183MC astrophotography video camera. Medium seeing, 6/3/21 'third light' on the Daystar Scout SS60 Scope with fixed chromasphere quark built in - 930mm f15 60mm.
      Various Eye pieces used: Plossl 40mm, Meade Super Plossl 26mm, Explore Scientific 24mm and 11mm 82 and 68 degree EPs gave good clarity and contrast, but the seeing's not good enough for close viewing of proms.  ioptron motor, roughly pointed north was perfectly sufficiently good to keep the sun in view for at least 45 mins at a time. I'll edit this post to add a pic or two of the equipment setup in a moment.
      3 images attached are: Afocal Smartphone still image (contrast increased in smartphont), plus two shots of the setup.

• By Goldenmole
      Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas for projects to do, as the sky is clearing up and i wanted to make the most of it. Anything, maybe finding or tracking a certain celestial object or mapping the moon! I'll leave it up to you!😊
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.