Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Costa Teguise Lanzarote Star Gazing

Gilez

I'm fortunate to be going away around Christmas time to Costa Teguise and wanted to see what Star Gazing I could bag with a local club or group whilst there.  I was originally all set to be spending an evening with a group in Fueteventura but Monarch snubbed that one out?

I've looked on the internet but nothing is jumping out at me.  Has anyone got any recommendations by any chance?

• Like 1

Can be very cloudy in the canaries In winter. Been three times to lanzarotte in the past five years and nearly every one of the 21 days was cloudy, a few glimpses of stars ( always nice to see Orion overhead) but very overcast.

I do hope for clear skies for you though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the sky's didn't fail to deliver but most of it was by eye only.

The amount of stars you can see with the naked eye is amazing compared to my usual at home.  I only managed to get my bins out for about 10 minutes one evening as the rest of the time I was in the mini disco with the kids!

I had a good hunt around but couldn't find any info on any local clubs etc...which is interesting as there is an observatory which I could see on top of one of the mountains from my hotel so would have thought there would be something happening. All I managed to find and read up is that the carpark by the observatory is a good place to view from.

• 7 months later...

Hello Star Forming. I know I'm a bit late in responding to your question but we are a business on the island called Kosmos Lanzarote which is run by a qualified and highly experienced astrophysicist. We have dedicated our activities on the island to the residents for a number of years but this summer we have just started up our own ASTROTours and activities for visitors to the island.  You can find out more on our webpage

http://www.kosmos-lanzarote.com

and on Facebook: Kosmos Lanzarote in English.

We run a planetarium, organise guided astronomical walks with binoculars and observation nights with telescopes, courses on astrophotography...

Please feel free to email me, Amanda if you intend visiting Lanzarote again or if you have any questions or need recommendations.

kosmoslanzarote@gmail.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kosmos Amanda said:

Hello Star Forming. I know I'm a bit late in responding to your question but we are a business on the island called Kosmos Lanzarote which is run by a qualified and highly experienced astrophysicist. We have dedicated our activities on the island to the residents for a number of years but this summer we have just started up our own ASTROTours and activities for visitors to the island.  You can find out more on our webpage

We run a planetarium, organise guided astronomical walks with binoculars and observation nights with telescopes, courses on astrophotography...

Please feel free to email me, Amanda if you intend visiting Lanzarote again or if you have any questions or need recommendations.

Just got back.  Wish I had known about you..... had an ok time with some clear nights.  Oh well maybe next time...

Last week I was in the Middle of the Caribbean sea at the very front of the ship on the bow (Freedom of the Seas).  The front of the ship is kept dead dark so the bridge can see where they're going.  The overhead sky - Sagittarius and Scorpio and the southern constellations we never see were spectacular.  Would love to go to Namibia one day and when I jack work in, I intend to.

15 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I've been to Lanzarote a good few times, Sept, Christmas etc. Been to Costa Teguise once. Lovely resort, but nearly always cloudy at night. Bins are a safe bet. You might see the Moon. 

Yep, we think we are the only ones to get cloud.  Clouds are live and well everywhere in the world. It was patchy cloud for three consecutive weeks in the Caribbean.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Last week I was in the Middle of the Caribbean sea at the very front of the ship on the bow (Freedom of the Seas).  The front of the ship is kept dead dark so the bridge can see where they're going.  The overhead sky - Sagittarius and Scorpio and the southern constellations we never see were spectacular.  Would love to go to Namibia one day and when I jack work in, I intend to.

That's great to know Steve, as I'm off cruising around the Caribbean in the New Year.

Steve

Edited by sloz1664

On 25/08/2018 at 14:04, sloz1664 said:

That's great to know Steve, as I'm off cruising around the Caribbean in the New Year.

Steve

Then you'll see Orion directly overhead Steve with Canopus to the South and Auriga to the North with Leo to the East looking large.  Spectacular!  I remember that well when I was in Oman many years ago and look back very fondly.  Caribbean in New Year is much clearer than in the summer months (June - October is extremely humid [hence hurrince season]).

You should be in for a treat and I would definitely use some of your luggage allowance to pack the bins and a star atlas for the southern sky.

On 25/08/2018 at 11:57, kirkster501 said:

Yep, we think we are the only ones to get cloud.  Clouds are live and well everywhere in the world. It was patchy cloud for three consecutive weeks in the Caribbean.

This is true. I just came back from two weeks in India of which one night only was cloud free, and that was in Delhi. Quite disappointing for astro considering how far south I went. Oh well, next time maybe. 

On 24/08/2018 at 20:05, Kosmos Amanda said:

I'll definitely look you up if I go again.

• 10 months later...