NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heritage 130 on Barnards Loop

jetstream

First the ending...the H130 is in the house frozen to the mount and the mount frozen to the tripod, yes, it's cold-and clear, with temps dropping to -30c this week possibly. The H130 performs superbly in these temps actually and tonight it was strutting its stuff!

Many objects were observed, warming up the eyes for some dimmer objects. The HH was a swing and a miss and while a tiny bit of IC434 was seen, I hold no hope for this object with this telescope but that's OK as the table top newt pulled out Barnards Loop very well tonight. It is very capable on these large nebula and I followed the Loop roughly 6 deg using M78 as the midpoint and locator, the curve in the Loop was followed along the near edge to M78.

The H130 showed Barnards Loop very well.

The successful eyepieces were the 32mm TV plossl,25mm TV plossl and the 25mm Super plossl and with an Astronomik Hb and the DGM NPB. Yes, the NPB shows the Loop as does the excellent Astronomik. The 25mm Super plossl has a harder time on M78 with the Hb but on the target it did a nice job as did the 25mm TV. The 32mm TV plossl gave more TFOV and exit pupil which for me really added to the view. So good that...

Seeing the Loop was not difficult with the Astronomik Hb and 32mm plossl. I don't want to sound flipant here- the fact is under these conditions of extreme transparency (snow washed skies) and darkness 21.7 (snow on ice) this telescope gave surprising view of the target.

Anyone with this telescope or a similar one can see these objects I report- just find some dark skies. Have fun out there!

Amazing performance from the little Newt; 'strutting its stuff', I see what you did there ;) 

I guess this just confirms that it is all about the skies, plus of course just a dash of observer experience and skill!

I hope you and the little Newt defrost soon!

No moisture to affect the view in those conditions! Great that you’ve had a view of a properly big nebula.. did you catch sight of the lambda orionis nebula too (orionis head)?

Rather too cold for my liking though...

Peter

Ideal set up from your account Gerry considering those conditions. Just out of interest how long are you able to be outside with the scope for when the temperature is that low? To follow the loop 6 degrees pivoted by M78 as the mid point will be an interesting pursuit. Look forward to your account for attempting to trace the Eridanus loop section, which I expect will be with your fast 8" dob.

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Ideal set up from your account Gerry considering those conditions. Just out of interest how long are you able to be outside with the scope for when the temperature is that low? To follow the loop 6 degrees pivoted by M78 as the mid point will be an interesting pursuit. Look forward to your account for attempting to trace the Eridanus loop section, which I expect will be with your fast 8" dob.

I can observe for a few hours usually but in the extreme cold the eyes will start to go sometimes - a signal to get warm.Most really cold sessions are 2 hours or so and the real problem is the eyepieces, they will frost up badly when the eye gets near them. This happened last night during my second session. All told I was out for 4 hours last night.

I tried the Eridanus Loop last night but the H130 needs a shroud to protect from reflected starlight on the snow. I have hope that the H130/shroud can pull out the E Loop. The 200mm will give it a go very soon...

Thank you for another excellent report, Gerry. These reports are very inspirational for me. As you know, my scope is very close to the H130. It helps to remove that doubt in my mind about the equipment I’m using. As Stu said, it shows that conditions are probably the biggest factor in observing or not observing an object. I’m yet to see the best of skies over here so who knows what I might observe!

10 hours ago, jetstream said:

Everything I can see so can you :thumbsup: What is your next challenge?

Thanks btw Neil!

As always, I have lots of challenges on the go :) The E and F stars in the Trapezium have beaten me so far. I've only managed 2 out of the 3 galaxies in the Leo triplet. I've had one look at the Rosette Nebula but want to spend a lot more time on this. The Merope nebula is on the challenge list too. I'm trying not psych myself out on that one. I know a lot of the experienced astronomers on here haven't managed to see the reflection nebula but I think on the right night at my local dark site it's possible! I also want to have a go at the Pacman nebula too! 

I'm also "patiently" waiting for an Astronomik H-Beta filter to come up for sale so I can have a go a the California nebula.

• 1 month later...

Like to renew this thread Gerry and ask if you have had any further successful observations concerning aspects of Barnard's Loop?

If (and it is a big if) the weather is favourable in the next weekend, I hope to get a shout at observing what I can for the Loop. I plan to go wild camping at a very dark sky location and take a 3" frac. I will be using X15 and X23 ultra wide field e.p's and will have a full set of Deep sky filters primarily H-beta. The most hopeful observation, will be for the 'brighter' section that is between M78 and the open cluster NGC 2112. This I have encountered previously (very faint) with my 14" dob. So the North section, from the belt, will respond to a H-beta, however I have read that the southern section is possible to (small rich field scope, low power / wide field e.p) the emission composition is slightly different and will not require a filter. Transparency of course will have to be excellent and all this is perhaps on my part wishful thinking, but its good to share.

Just one other thought Gerry, have you attempted as yet NGC 1909 Witch Head?

Conversely I might additionally include my 25mm Televue Plossl (perhaps also the 20mm), the weight in particular compared to the other two is negligible and the four glass element might be beneficial.

Thanks Peter, yes I shall include this, Meissa - Lambda Orionis.  

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Like to renew this thread Gerry and ask if you have had any further successful observations concerning aspects of Barnard's Loop?

If (and it is a big if) the weather is favourable in the next weekend, I hope to get a shout at observing what I can for the Loop. I plan to go wild camping at a very dark sky location and take a 3" frac. I will be using X15 and X23 ultra wide field e.p's and will have a full set of Deep sky filters primarily H-beta. The most hopeful observation, will be for the 'brighter' section that is between M78 and the open cluster NGC 2112. This I have encountered previously (very faint) with my 14" dob. So the North section, from the belt, will respond to a H-beta, however I have read that the southern section is possible to (small rich field scope, low power / wide field e.p) the emission composition is slightly different and will not require a filter. Transparency of course will have to be excellent and all this is perhaps on my part wishful thinking, but its good to share.

Just one other thought Gerry, have you attempted as yet NGC 1909 Witch Head?

Hi Iain, the sky has been good here quite a bit and yes I have been observing the Orion area. I observe Barnards Loop often (very) and the section you are suggesting is the best place to start IMHO. I'm not sure why but observing objects over and over seems to really help and now I can see the section near M78 with no filter using the 200mm f3.8/Lunt 20mm HDC. It is also perceptible with the H130 no filter. Try observing near the asterism that includes HIP27423.

The Eridanus Loop has grabbed my attention and is very difficult, but I can see something there and much more observing is required.

With no filter I do see a shade difference in the Witch head area but I must say that I see shades all over the place- a long time ago I mentioned a textured look to the sky in many places using no filter. This 200mm f3.8 with Ostahowski's ultra smooth mirror shows so much I'm not sure whats what- dust, emmision neb, reflection nebs and it takes a long time, with and without filters to decipher them. The huge Meissa neb shows an edge and it is easy to "be in it", making things hard.

You might try an area of the sky known to be free of observable nebula for a reference and from there start on these faint sections. Doing this has helped me tell when I "come out of the nebula" and sharpens the ability to detect shades.

At your dark site and starting with the Hb you will be able to follow Barnards Loop a long way Iain. After observing it with the filter, go for a sky cruise on some favorites and come back to it with no filter...you will see the area I mentioned.

Eagerly waiting your report!

Thanks Gerry, some good information and technique to absorb based upon your experiences. Quite understand in terms of detecting shades, this is how I knew I'd entered into the sh2-276 region, a very slight contrast change and of course no stars detectable.  

The intended camping trip may not yet transpire due to predicted bad weather forecast, in-between there could be some clear skies, tempting perhaps a car trip to a slightly lesser dark sky.   

Very good account with your 200mm f3.8.

Archived