Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone using 6mm Ethos in a big dob?

alanjgreen

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got to use the ethos6 on M13 globular cluster this morning. At x348 it was great to see the stars come to a sharp focus :)

WOW is all I can say!

The 20"/E6 combo was resolving the stars in the globular all the way to the centre!

Plenty of nudging was needed as M13 seemed to take up over 50% of the FOV and was drifting pretty quickly across the field.

The view was magnificent, with the varying shades of the background dust. Pretty unforgettable really :) 

I tried it on M3 but focusing was more difficult (either less brightness or worse sky over that side) so had to drop to the ethos8 instead but it was another lovely sight.

Globulars are great objects to see when the dawn starts to take the galaxies away.

Alan

1 hour ago, alanjgreen said:

Finally got to use the ethos6 on M13 globular cluster this morning. At x348 it was great to see the stars come to a sharp focus :)

WOW is all I can say!

The 20"/E6 combo was resolving the stars in the globular all the way to the centre!

Plenty of nudging was needed as M13 seemed to take up over 50% of the FOV and was drifting pretty quickly across the field.

The view was magnificent, with the varying shades of the background dust. Pretty unforgettable really :) 

I tried it on M3 but focusing was more difficult (either less brightness or worse sky over that side) so had to drop to the ethos8 instead but it was another lovely sight.

Globulars are great objects to see when the dawn starts to take the galaxies away.

Alan

Yes it really comes to life almost, I have to say though the one sad thought I always have when viewing M13 in this way is what a shame my dob is not guided, could sit and look at it for ages. Low in the UK I know but M22 also looks stunning.

Alan

16 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Yes it really comes to life almost, I have to say though the one sad thought I always have when viewing M13 in this way is what a shame my dob is not guided, could sit and look at it for ages. Low in the UK I know but M22 also looks stunning.

Alan

I found an equatorial platform worked well when I wanted my dob to track. It does add a couple of inches to the height of the eyepiece though.

Globular clusters really do benefit from additional aperture. I can still vividly recall the views of M13 that I had through a 20" dob a few years back. As the Alans say, it's pretty unforgettable :icon_biggrin:

I use the 6mm Ethos to observe M57 and other planetary nebulae as well with my 12" dob. Some of those are rather lovely at high power :smiley:

Archived