Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using 6mm Ethos in a big dob?

alanjgreen

I have a 20” f3.6 dobsonian that I always use with a paracorr2.

Native focal length is 1817mm which jumps to 2089mm with paracorr.

I have had some surprisingly great views (when seeing permits) with 8mm Ethos (x250) and I am wondering whether a 6mm Ethos would perform well in my scope, it would give x348 which is a lot but would be great on planetaries like the Eskimo for example and planets themselves of course. Imagine M13 globular at x348 ??

The 8mm has proved great on galaxies and I am wondering whether galaxies have even more to give at x348 or maybe it’s a step too far? 

I do realise that seeing will not allow x348 very often but when it’s good then it might be nice to have the EP available in my case!

If anyone with a big dob has had real experience using an Ethos 6mm at around x350 (from UK skies preferably) and can comment on the objects seen and any extra details observed?

Note that I am only really considering the Ethos due to the speed of my scope and the fact that objects will fly across the view at that magnification so under 100 degree will be a pain to use in a manual scope.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dob is not as big as some (12" F/5.3) but the 6mm Ethos is my staple high power eyepiece (265x). I also find the 5mm Pentax XW (318x) gets plenty of use. I use to have the 4.7 and 3.7 Ethos but the last named was too much power, most of the time.

The 6mm Ethos is just as good as the others in the range.

I use them for the same reason that you state - a little less nudging and longer drift times, while still a sharp image :icon_biggrin:

21 minutes ago, John said:

The Powermate 2x does a great job with Ethos eyepieces :icon_biggrin:

You don't need to sell them to me buddy, I know how good they are :D 

Calvin constantly lets me use his..........and I swear he gets a kick out of my reactions when I use them. 

He even rubs it in by borrowing my 31mm T5 and then umming and ahhring as he looks through it........ (the git) :D  

My Dob is not as big as your?. But it's reasonable size at 14" and at f/ 4.6. Big Dobs with quality mirrors can really push the magnification, atmosphere conditions permitting . 

I use the Pentax XW5mm and Pentax 7mm a lot in my scope. So it's certainly not wasted being in the eyepiece case. And 348 x in a reflector Dob like yours is certainly not over the top and well within useful magnification limits of your scope, even in this country as we do get conditions to push to this limit and more

With the 6mm Ethos is my understanding being designed to go to f/4 and you use a paracorr also then this eyepiece should be a well worth addition. With 100d fov useful when nudging a dob manually. 

Magnification is only useful in my opinion if you get a clear crisp image, therefore around 350x is certainly within capacity of your scope in the correct atmosphere conditions, I use mine at this magnification and more and so IMO the 6mm Ethos will be a worthwhile while addition to your eyepiece case. With Christmas coming up if you have been good then maybe Santa will bring you one, if not then you will need to buy your own ?

A 6mm Ethos is complementary to the 8mm, I last used mine a few weeks ago to facilitate observing what I could extract of Stephan's Quintet. With my 14"dob and paracorr it becomes x313, NGC 7331 and the dim haze associated with the Quintet (could not quite distinguish a separation) became the best view, increasing the mag from x142, x184, x230. I also use a 5mm XW very occasionally with this scope. The 6mm receives more use with my other scopes for high or medium / high power, because the subject matter I have been observing lately with my VX14 has not fully required it, an emphasis more on galaxy clusters and planetary nebula central stars and it would gain more use, when conditions are favourable.

Mine's a medium 15" size rather than a big league dob, but with my Paracorr it has approx 1970mm focal length - not a million miles away from yours.

I often use the 6E in particular on planetary nebs at ~330x - a lovely EP!  I even 2x PM'ed it once on a rare night of very good seeing on Jupiter, but I took the Paracorr out ;)

Thanks for the info fellers!

I have done a deal with a guy in Lancashire, I will pick it up next time I drive down the M6 :) 

Now, I need to buy the 30mm EP barrel extension and a 2" parfocal ring then I can make it parfocal with my E13 and use it in 2" mode using the same Paracorr setting "H" position too. ( I did the same to the E8 and it really simplifies all the EP handling in the dark! )

After placing a wanted ad a few days back, I was offered a used 6mm for a price I was willing to pay...

I was driving up the M6 today and called into Lancaster to pick up this lovely eyepiece.

e6-100-1.jpg.3a17f19a35cd3d164a21c87e91eb2684.jpge6-100-2.jpg.aa98da094cdb6c422f59f2ddfaea1b94.jpg

Of course, the weather forecast for the next two weeks will be affected by my actions and I can expect not to be able to use it until 2018 !

- I have added a "2 inch Televue barrel extension" and a "2 inch parfocal ring" so that I can make it parfocal with the Ethos 13mm & 10mm & 8mm (and they all work on the same Paracorr2 setting)

ethos-case2.jpg.eb70aff4de3e323f302bcb8daab12d89.jpg

Hope to be able to use this and report on it in due course... :)

Alan

Archived