Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another session ruined by insecurity blights

Moonshane

I have spoken with them previously but as I am moving and the new owner is unlikely to be an astronomer I don't really want to have to tick yes in the disputes with neighbours box at this stage. 

I am not sure starting an arms race is for me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel your pain - I used to happily observe from my back garden: no more due to neighbours' lights, plus ******* new streetlights in the village.

I go to a better location on the southern coast now, 10mins drive, but it completely changes the dynamic of just popping out with the scope while having young children.  Before, I was still around to help, not a big deal to come back in if a child wakes up crying.  Now to head off means several hours and abandoning my wife to deal with waking chislers. Upshot: significantly less observing nights :(, but when I do, better darkness and good southern horizon - so some positives.

Best of luck with the house move!

This is looking towards our front garden, 6 floodlights that are on every night even sundays.

lp001.jpg

and what the back garden looks like, where the obsy is.
Just behind the Rose hips there is a 500watter that is on the wall and just above the boiler vent,
Everytime the boiler fires up on comes the light, it fires right across the obsy and lights up all the trees, nightmare!

lp002.jpg

A neighbour to the side of ours suddenly put up a LED flood  on a post at the bottom of his drive to light the access to it from the road, as his little bit of road is unlit. No problem with that apart from the angle it was at lit up our garden and my other neighbors upstair windows and missed nearly all of his property.

To be fair to him, I don't know him and asked if he could angle it down, he said I could do it to suit me as he would need to get some one in to do it as he's fairly elderly.

I popped around in the dark a few days later and all sorted.

Needless light pollution should have the same status as noise nuisance. I believe that under the European Human Rights act, you are entitled to ‘peaceful enjoyment‘ of your property....... 

The new house looks hopeful though.

Paul

Suffering similar issues with new neighbour recently installing an LED security light that is on 24 hours 7 days a week?!
I have been out a few times since this has been installed and I have to say the sky now looks like a washed out grey rather than black or a deep dark blue. 
I never had dark skies before but this pretty much destroys any sense of darkness.

The only saving grace is that the light is just about blocked by my fence though of course stray light and reflections are everywhere. As soon as I get up out of my seat I am dazzled with this thing so no chance of any dark adaption.
To be fair I haven’t spoken to the neighbour about it yet as soon as I see them I'll politely ask them if they would consider switching the timer on, fingers crossed...

Hope your move gets you sorted.

On 19/12/2017 at 14:05, Droogie 2001 said:

Suffering similar issues with new neighbour recently installing an LED security light that is on 24 hours 7 days a week?!
I have been out a few times since this has been installed and I have to say the sky now looks like a washed out grey rather than black or a deep dark blue. 
I never had dark skies before but this pretty much destroys any sense of darkness.

The only saving grace is that the light is just about blocked by my fence though of course stray light and reflections are everywhere. As soon as I get up out of my seat I am dazzled with this thing so no chance of any dark adaption.
To be fair I haven’t spoken to the neighbour about it yet as soon as I see them I'll politely ask them if they would consider switching the timer on, fingers crossed...

Hope your move gets you sorted.

The sooner the better i would say.  Get around and speak with them as soon as you can otherwise as time drags on you kick yourself and also they may be less obliging to do anything.

On 12/9/2017 at 05:26, John said:

Very sorry for those suffering from this problem (as I am myself to some extent) but, please, no suggestions of vandalism etc, etc.

Thanks.

First thing we did was to have the neighbors over on exceptional nights, and added as an afterthought as we left their porch that they'd see much better if they turned off their lawn and/or porch light. But these things just don't stick with non-observers. Seems the only way things get done these days is through social media. Maybe a variation on the go-fund-me idea for community issues? We considered setting up near the mayor's house (she comes around once a year collecting monies and support) to "raise awareness," but the difficulty of speaking truth to power is that power already knows it. Social media is probably the way to go and seems to have displaced our arcane institutions in many areas anyhoo. We're also toying w/ the idea of contacting our local news outlets (television and print) to report our outreach opportunities--sort of a back door infiltration into the oblivious. If we were better connected, we'd involve the kids of the more well-heeled bureaucrats. Yup, dreaming is one of the things I do best, but my wife can own a room with her special knack for others.

Archived