Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another session ruined by insecurity blights

Moonshane

I dread to hear a female voice when my neighbours at the foot if the garden let their dog out for a puddle. Almost without fail this means she forgets to turn off the manual 500w halogen. 

I just packed up and came back in. It's one if the reasons I am moving house so cannot be bothered doing anything about it. I have talked with them before but she is clearly a forgetful person.

20171208_213419.thumb.jpg.3a7242328cfbac0d3fe9bf3d30c3d8fe.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you know , i feel your pain having 11.....yes 11 even brighter LED floods facing my garden, they are lot further away, but a lot brighter, at a guess i would say the lights are equivalent to 1000w though 2 are dimmer, good luck with the move, lets hope the new location is better for you 

I sympathise, I really do. During house moves earlier this year, I was lucky enough to rent a house with a long dark back garden. Made good use of it until one night, BANG, a 500watt floodlight from next door illuminated the entire area. You just cannot escape the damn things. I also have completely inappropriate street lights in my new house (which I will compain about), although all the houses have subtle, downward pointing, exterior lighting, so hopefully my neighbours will not feel the need to install jumbo jet landing lights in their yards. Good luck with your next house. Are you in a position to make your observing needs the top of your list of 'must haves' for your new house? 

On my drive home from work I see so many lights like this needlessly illuminating trees and what not. The advent of leds means that these ‘idiots’ can run them 12 hours a day for about 1/10 of a unit of electricity ie 1.5p, unlike the older 500w bulbs.  I now have two spot lights from 2 neighbours but they are a bit away so it’s more a distraction than a genuine issue. Grinds my gears though. 

Sorry to hear of your plight. May you find the right location in your next house. I'm not a kill joy especially at Christmas but I can't image to the south while neighbours across the road have their bright blue icicle led's blinking on and off all night. sigh.

Cheers,
Steve

Cheers all. Yeah the new garden is longer with trees at the end so I am planning an obs and how to observe effectively from inside a well.

That way I will have less sky overall but more dark adaptation and mostly at a higher elevation.

I have no issue with a light that comes on and serves a purpose but it should then go off. Even ignoring astronomy it's antisocial

13 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I have no issue with a light that comes on and serves a purpose but it should then go off.

Even ignoring astronomy it's antisocial

Sorry to hear of your plight and being driven to move.

I have similar but two spots at differing sides of my property from one insecure neighbour, no amount of polite request goes well, he has told me to *** Off As he does not give a ***** about the night sky! Both lights illuminate almost my entire garden and come on at dusk and off at dawn.

So fully comiserate Shane.

I give up on trying to get any thing done , I do not like the cold and in bed by 9pm ,So I call it aday as for lights still every low round here but the day will come I looked at moving but so much land is going for new homes , so may be only 3 to 5 years you back start looking again just the way the world go round so take the good nights with the bad once and make the best of the them.

My neighbours have a very bright floodlight too but they usually turn it off before midnight.  It affects my all sky camera but I built my observatory so that the ROR shields my imaging systems from it.  Limits my view to the west though.

5a0b3ae7a5a1c_Screenshotfrom2017-11-1418-45-58.thumb.png.4410747a3ed6bcd437d0b092d7e32e76.png

We have security lights from neighbour's each side and to the back . We have 9 streetlights around and now we have tacky flashing christmas decorations.

Once again my extended washing line posts with clipped on heavy dark throws , make for wonderful observing . I also close one eye when leaving the enclosure , to keep night vision.

It's no use explaining what we do , or how important dark adaptation is. My neighbour asked me , "have you seen any little green men ?" Your eyes take 20 Minutes to adapt, it's a chemical change , anything that can preserve this is worth doing,

Nick.

Nick, I followed your example with two washing line poles and canvas between.  It cut out the street lamps but my neighbour has fitted a projector to his garage roof so now I have dancing snowflakes all over the side of his house.

Looking west, the local santa experience park has switched on rotating floodlights that illuminate the clouds.  

I don’t even bother setting up in my back garden any more!

John

Looks promising, an obsy at the end of the garden will hopefully solve all your woes. ? On the subject of a light well, when i lived in the middle of town with victorian street light in my face, i sometimes used to put the dewshield for the C8 to my face and look up - was as if the lights were not there and the sky was really dark - I did look ridiculous though so didnt do it very often!

I think most of us have some form of light intrusion of one form on another, but some of the examples above are deeply frustrating, saddening and enraging all at the same time.  I am relatively lucky to have 1 security light and 2 bathroom lights projecting onto the garden, but their owners are regular citizens and do not feel the need to amplify their shortcomings, insecurities and poor taste all over the postal district. 

This hobby is bad enough with high prices, lonely hours, satellites and correct focus without other people having a negative input as well.

Stay strong, I'm sure a solution will appear.

Sean.

I'm very sorry to read about this! Those neighbours are crazy and to me there should be some form of regulation about people installing those lights, each one affecting an entire neighbourhood! Unfortunately, it seems that those people are even encouraged to do so.. 

Hopefully we don't get neighbours like this:  christmas-madness.mpg   (funny and mad video)! 

Archived