NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good >Printer< for AP-Photos (recommend)

p14b

Hi

After doing Astrophotography for the last year, I thought I would print off some of my later and better photos, but its not been as easy as it sounds! 

They never seem to look the same as on screen, my printer is/was a all-in-one, on its day gave ok photo prints! but AP-Photos I find are a different matter, just getting a good black sky is hard.

I understand there are many colors in that seemingly black sky that can come out and show more when printing the image as a photo, so I guess technique has a big part to play here also.

But as my printer has just broken! I would first like to here what type of printer some of you people use and recommend. 

1 - Printer needed. Would be nice to get another all in one that can print the odd A3, just so I can use it everyday, not dedicated if possible, can print a good AP photo but nothing professional. 

2 - Budget £200-£250

3 - Inks (lol) I'm a sucker for non genuine! 

Basically if you print using a all in one, and use non genuine inks, and print the odd AP-Photo at a reasonable standard please tell me what printer you use.

Or just let me know what you use even if it don't fit my needs, as i'v been googlin for 6hours and can't find much on this matter.

Thx Paul

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through this loop many years ago making sure the colour space of the camera/screen and printer all matched and even loaded profiles for the paper in use , the results not amazing by any standards. The best hope is by making sure your screen/monitor is calibrated with a Spyder or similar and then trial and error with the printing...

Alan

A bit off topic but I use the Photo booths at "Boots (the Chemist)" to print out my images. The images default with a insane amount of auto brightness which I switch off immediately. The quality is pretty good, usually need to tweak the contrast and brightness a little. Once you have the general settings they are usually the same for most of your images. 

It works out about 50p for a 6x4 and and 79p for a 8x6, some of the Boots shops do larger prints but I take these to my local photography shop.
Have always found printers to be costly to run and if you buy cheap you definitely get cheap.
Astro images are probably one of the hardest type of picture to print for the reasons you mentioned.

Not as convenient as printing from home but saves a fortune! Though of course you cannot print out your documents out on these so I guess a printer is inevitable for you, maybe you could try one as a comparison or indeed seperate option?

Mike

12 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I went through this loop many years ago making sure the colour space of the camera/screen and printer all matched and even loaded profiles for the paper in use , the results not amazing by any standards. The best hope is by making sure your screen/monitor is calibrated with a Spyder or similar and then trial and error with the printing...

Alan

Yes with my last try I used different settings but still it was hit and miss, and a shed load of ink used, in the end the best results where from using LR to adjust the image and save onto a SD-Card then to print directly from this. (then my printer broke)

So before I start/try again I first need to buy a new printer (but which one? as info on this subject seems to be zero)

Thx Paul

1 hour ago, Droogie 2001 said:

A bit off topic but I use the Photo booths at "Boots (the Chemist)" to print out my images. The images default with a insane amount of auto brightness which I switch off immediately. The quality is pretty good, usually need to tweak the contrast and brightness a little. Once you have the general settings they are usually the same for most of your images. 

It works out about 50p for a 6x4 and and 79p for a 8x6, some of the Boots shops do larger prints but I take these to my local photography shop.
Have always found printers to be costly to run and if you buy cheap you definitely get cheap.
Astro images are probably one of the hardest type of picture to print for the reasons you mentioned.

Not as convenient as printing from home but saves a fortune! Though of course you cannot print out your documents out on these so I guess a printer is inevitable for you, maybe you could try one as a comparison or indeed seperate option?

Mike

Its not off topic! if this works for you that's great, it may even work for me :) (so thx for sharing)

But you are correct I need a new printer for other tasks, so I may as well see if I can get one that may print some usable AP-Photos.

Comparison sites > spent hours searching even narrowed it down to a few but then found out all my choices would fail on black tones, not once have I found a person or advise that mentions AP-Photos.

I'm free today so today's searches I looked more for advise on printing darker photos, seems printers with more than one type of black ink or even grey inks get better results, TBC   

37 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I just aquired a NIX digital photo frame and I have to say that the astro images look very good on it and no paper or ink required.

Peter

What a great idea, not a solution for me sadly! but still a great idea. Thx

I think you might be on to something regarding the "blacks" my printer has two types but have to admit I have never tried it on an astro photo.

I imagine a good test for any printer would be to get it to print out a b/w daytime image but have it set to colour printing, this would determine how good it is at producing a grey scale.

I have always used Epson printers and have usually regretted it soon after for some reason, its not that mine is bad in any way and still works fine after 5 years but I think the next one might be a Canon.

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I think you might be on to something regarding the "blacks" my printer has two types but have to admit I have never tried it on an astro photo.

I imagine a good test for any printer would be to get it to print out a b/w daytime image but have it set to colour printing, this would determine how good it is at producing a grey scale.

I have always used Epson printers and have usually regretted it soon after for some reason, its not that mine is bad in any way and still works fine after 5 years but I think the next one might be a Canon.

Alan

Yesterday I nearly bought a new Epson EX photo XP-960, looks to produce stunning Photos, but not AP-Photos, it has 6 ink carts! but only 1 is black, so i'm glad I researched I little more before buying.

You are correct, gray scale would show Cyan as a toner (only just researching this so not all I say will be 100% correct).

Canon seem to be the ones recommended as top of this field (normal Photos that is) just checking on how they cope with blacks at this mo...... 

3 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Paul

Back in the day when I lived in the UK jessops camera's did printers. and you could test your photo's out on them to decide which one to buy. maybe a shot if a store near you...

just a thought

Andy

Hi Andy

Took me an age just to get a few photos from my now broken printer (and they where not that good), can't see any shop putting up we me! testing there printers to a level where I say yes that's the printer for me.

I do have more info and will post my findings later.

Thx Paul

yes but it's worth a try ?? nothing to loose if spending up to 200 quid for a printer the nearest jessops is in Manchester or Preston or maybe try PCworld nothing lost by trying...... after all they are after your hard earned cash..

otherwise try a camera shop with canon processing printers(pro) .. here in france superb canon processing machines (pro)y they can adjust the prints quality they ask what you want doing then print if no good they bin them and if good you pay.  that is here

On 12/4/2017 at 00:22, p14b said:

Basically if you print using a all in one, and use non genuine inks, and print the odd AP-Photo at a reasonable standard please tell me what printer you use.

I have never found a non-genuine ink that did not fade when printing photos.
They look fine for a few months, but the colour balance changes as colours fade at different rates. It may also be that the paper used has an effect too.

So now I always get my prints done commercially. Apart from anything else, they are cheaper and there is a much wider range of material to print onto. For example search for metal printing                         . The tricky bit, though, is the trial and error involved in getting the colours and contrast right. You have to start with calibrating your monitor.

I would say look at the epson range. The old 1290 photo machines were good in their day and also would print A3. I think the equivalent today might be the photo 1500w or the xp-960. 

Tbh I would just pay the money and have a photography shop to do them for you. At least they have to deal with any issues and you do not end up wasting inks and paper.

Just buy a cheapy inkjet for standard home use. (canon):smile:

18 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

you could use www.freeprintsapp.co.uk 45 free prints a month only pay postage ,why buy a printer when there quality printing 

On 12/3/2017 at 23:22, p14b said:

But as my printer has just broken! I would first like to here what type of printer some of you people use and recommend.

I appreciate every single reply, my printer as I said at the start^ has just broken, so was basically looking for a replacement that may be capable of giving me the odd good AP-Photo.

I'm having to buy one anyway! so why not get one that can print off a few AP-Photos.

I have done the Google searches but found very little advise on this matter, so I thought where better to ask then a Astro Forum > see what other people use for the odd AP-Photo. 

Thx Paul

12 hours ago, pete_l said:

I have never found a non-genuine ink that did not fade when printing photos.
They look fine for a few months, but the colour balance changes as colours fade at different rates. It may also be that the paper used has an effect too.

So now I always get my prints done commercially. Apart from anything else, they are cheaper and there is a much wider range of material to print onto. For example search for metal printing                         . The tricky bit, though, is the trial and error involved in getting the colours and contrast right. You have to start with calibrating your monitor.

Hi Pete

The problem with some people buying Non Gen/OEM inks is > because there buying cheap they then go and buy the cheapest of the cheap, which is not a good idea! (but some named replacement inks have good expert reviews and followings)

Pigment against dye inks have very different properties, and you are correct in saying Photo Paper Type plays a big part in how a print last or even prints (I will add my choice of Photo Paper to my end findings)

Commercial Printing your masterpiece > My AP is only a year in! and in the UK that mean only a hand full of outings, but yes if I every get a Image to that stage I would defo use a Professional service.

Setting up my monitor is something I have yet to do.

Thx Paul 

9 hours ago, spillage said:

I would say look at the epson range. The old 1290 photo machines were good in their day and also would print A3. I think the equivalent today might be the photo 1500w or the xp-960. 

Tbh I would just pay the money and have a photography shop to do them for you. At least they have to deal with any issues and you do not end up wasting inks and paper.

Just buy a cheapy inkjet for standard home use. (canon):smile:

I have already looked through the printers you say, along with others (I will add my findings at the end findings)

I agree once I get my AP to a standard where I want a bigger print I will use a Pro-service.

"Just buy a cheapy inkjet for standard home use. (canon)" > Exactly what I am after but as I'm buying a printer anyhow! why not get one that can throw out the odd good AP-Photo, to print and keep track of my AP progress along the way! :) 

Thx

1 hour ago, p14b said:

why not get one that can throw out the odd good AP-Photo, to print and keep track of my AP progress along the way! :)

If you have access to a standard cheap printer try it. Printers these days are fairly good for the money, if you want a professional finished print out you will end up paying allot more for the printer. Why pay nearly £200 pounds when you can spend £50-60 and be happy enough with the results.

If you want my professional opinion on a all round printer look at a canon. They will happily take compatible inks and give good results. Canon customer support will not get funny with the fact that you are not using their inks.

Try calling epson with an issue and tell them you are not using their inks.

6 minutes ago, spillage said:

If you have access to a standard cheap printer try it. Printers these days are fairly good for the money, if you want a professional finished print out you will end up paying allot more for the printer. Why pay nearly £200 pounds when you can spend £50-60 and be happy enough with the results.

If you want my professional opinion on a all round printer look at a canon. They will happily take compatible inks and give good results. Canon customer support will not get funny with the fact that you are not using their inks.

Try calling epson with an issue and tell them you are not using their inks.

Hi Mate

I have took everyone's advise, and yes your Professional advise is most welcome! funny enough everything you say is backed up in my findings. (even my 1st choice was a XP-960) 

Without going to deep (as I can write a summery at the end for this), I have choosen the CANON TS8050 it uses 2 x Black inks and a Grey as well as the normally M/Y/C, according to a few pro-printer shops and advise direct from Canon I would not find a better all in one printer that will print quality gray-scale/black & White Photos, (the closest thing to AP-Photos) 

£89 Delivery free for Tomorrow. (good quality named Non-Gen, but recommended are > 6x XL ink carts are £16ish) 

Once I test the Printer and also the inks/photo-paper that I bought I will add my findings and why I choose them.

Thx Paul

On 12/4/2017 at 13:57, Alien 13 said:

I found this article regarding printing of b/w, I do believe its a key ingredient to getting good AP prints.

https://www.permajetphotographyblog.com/single-post/2016/04/04/How-To-Get-The-Best-Black-White-Inkjet-Prints

Alan

Hi Alan

Forget where I'm up to on here, but I did want to thank you for adding the above, I was in that ball park but your link helped, I even emailed the writer of that, and got a nice reply with good advise.

Thx Paul

@p14b Well for £89 that seems a better price than the epson's. Take a look at stinkyink for the remans although you may have to settle on oem grey carts as these always seem few and far between with compats (just noticed that they rank this printer as a best buy).

I remember the oem gloss optimizers cartridge for the older epson printers were even hard to find at one point. Sorry after 13 years I can't half ramble on about the humble inkjet..

hth

Mark.

7 minutes ago, spillage said:

Take a look at stinkyink for the remans although you may have to settle on oem grey carts as these always seem few and far between with compats

Just been on there site and they Do the full 6-Pack including both Pigment and Dye Blacks M/Y/C and Grey for £24 free post - Are you saying you recommend there inks as a good buy ? 

Archived