Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrometry.net local (SGP) doesnt solve ??

Skipper Billy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Can you use Platesolve for blind solving? I thought you had to use Astrometry.net (local or remote) to do that?

..when you click on blind settings there is no option to set anything other than either Astrometry.net remote or local ANSVR.  There is no Platesolve 2 option for blind solving that I can see.

8 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

..when you click on blind settings there is no option to set anything other than either Astrometry.net remote or local ANSVR.  There is no Platesolve 2 option for blind solving that I can see.

No you can't, it's Astrometry.net.

Indeed Ray.  Rhetorical question but why?  Why can't blind solve work with Platesolve 2?  Just one solver then for everything?  Blind solve first to find where the scope currently is and then another solve to fine tune onto an object.

7 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Indeed Ray.  Rhetorical question but why?  Why can't blind solve work with Platesolve 2?  Just one solver then for everything?  Blind solve first to find where the scope currently is and then another solve to fine tune onto an object.

I guess the thought being if your main solver is struggling then there is a second (totally different) one to use as the failover Steve.  It makes sense I suppose as it is effectively a back-up.

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

Steve, I think the reason is that PlateSolve requires hints to work and simply wouldn't work completely in the blind. 

If for whatever reason your mount is in a mess and isn't pointing anywhere near where it thinks it is, PlateSolve would more than likely fail and the ANSVR/Astrometry.Net  Blind Solve is there as a 'weapon of last resort' to get things back into a position where PlateSolve should then be able to take over again.

Hi Billy,

Just had a play with the image you supplied.

In SGPro

File, open image,

right click image,

click plate solve,

type NGC 281 into object box,

type 1 as the image scale,

solve.

Result in 6.6 seconds.

Archived