NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternative to FocusMax/Maxim DL ??

Skipper Billy

I use Focusmax to control my Moonlite stepper motor electronic focuser - FocusMax uses Maxim DL to acquire its images to focus with.

Just recently (after every major Windows 10 update) I have to reinstall Maxim DL5.

I considered updating Maxim DL5 to Maxim DL6 but the version that integrates with FocusMax is £500 !!!!

Given that this is the only thing I ever use Maxim DL for I wondered if there is an alternative programme to focus reliably with a Moonlite stepper motor focuser???

IE something to replace FocusMax and/or Maxim DL ???

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get on with MaxIm V5 why not continue using it, it is all I use BUT I don't get on with FocusMax (free version) and won't pay the crazy asking price for the latest version so I useMaxIm's built in autofocus (SharpStar) which works very well for me, is free and allows me to use MaxIm throughout the capture process.

Hello "Skipper Billy" as Mike did state SGP is a very good all in one software and APT is also a good candidate, If you still prefer to use FocusMax then you can only use MAXIM DL or TSX, and another application the name I did forget..

Regards

Martin 

Another vote for SGP. I used to use Maxim DL (v6) and FocusMax. Having recently switched to SGP I find it superior in almost every way.

It's focusing in particular is a lot quicker - and you don't need to run a bunch of V-Curves to train it.

The only downside is you need to use PHD2 for guiding - but even that has some positives - the main one being that guiding continues during image download, which is vital if you are using a dual shooter rig.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, ian_bird said:

Another vote for SGP. I used to use Maxim DL (v6) and FocusMax. Having recently switched to SGP I find it superior in almost every way.

It's focusing in particular is a lot quicker - and you don't need to run a bunch of V-Curves to train it.

The only downside is you need to use PHD2 for guiding - but even that has some positives - the main one being that guiding continues during image download, which is vital if you are using a dual shooter rig.

Cheers

Ian

PHD is the only reason why i still haven't switched from Maxim. 

PHD2 has a brief learning curve - but once past that it's as good as Maxim's guiding.

Plus the Auto Pier Flip feature (including pre and post plate solving and guider stop / restart) is a joy to behold!

Another great feature of SGP is it's integration with DSO Browser. Choose your objects in DSO Browser, add them to your observing list, and then import that into SGP. Then SGP will slew to the object you want to image, plate solve and refine the pointing. Brilliant - and if you adjust the framing you can update the stored coordinates that were imported with your own plate solved image.

There really are some great and easy to use features in SGP, not least it's focusing. I've been using Maxim DL since I started in 2010. I switched to SGP /PHD2 two months ago and I'm completely sold on it.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, ian_bird said:

PHD2 has a brief learning curve - but once past that it's as good as Maxim's guiding.

Plus the Auto Pier Flip feature (including pre and post plate solving and guider stop / restart) is a joy to behold!

Another great feature of SGP is it's integration with DSO Browser. Choose your objects in DSO Browser, add them to your observing list, and then import that into SGP. Then SGP will slew to the object you want to image, plate solve and refine the pointing. Brilliant - and if you adjust the framing you can update the stored coordinates that were imported with your own plate solved image.

There really are some great and easy to use features in SGP, not least it's focusing. I've been using Maxim DL since I started in 2010. I switched to SGP /PHD2 two months ago and I'm completely sold on it.

Cheers

Ian

Agreed.  No matter how many times I watch the automatic flip it still impresses me. 

I used to use Maxim as i disliked the original PHD... and Maxim did a far better job at guiding in my opinion. Now I've been using SGP for a couple of years and PHD2.... I think that SGP and it's focus routine (and everything else to be fair) is really good and I think that PHD2 guiding really is good now. I wouldn't let the thoughts of using PHD2 as a way to stop you moving  from Maxim if that's what you feel would suit you.

Personally the only reason why i'm stuck with Maxim guiding is it works every time without me having to change any parameters. Only time it failed on me is when my guidecam ascom drivers started to play. 

SGP is the new generation, i am most definitely going to switch to it in the next few months keeping Maxim as a backup.

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Personally the only reason why i'm stuck with Maxim guiding is it works every time without me having to change any parameters. Only time it failed on me is when my guidecam ascom drivers started to play. 

SGP is the new generation, i am most definitely going to switch to it in the next few months keeping Maxim as a backup.

Once you have your profiles set in PHD2 and you point SGP to the relevant profile you shouldn't have to make any changes.  I just set up my session, hit go and everything goes off merrily.

I think they still do a trial, so worth having a go, it is very good.

3 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Can you use 2 instances of SGP to control 2 cameras/focusers?

Yes you can, but they are not synchronised...... You basically open up one instance of SGP and run the mount and guiding on that and then open another instance without a mount and then just run it as a slave in effect.

OK - thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.

I already use PHD2 for guiding so that's a none issue.

Sounds like SGP is the answer - then I can get rid of maxim and FocusMax. My two least favourite pieces of software !!

Thanks all.

Off to hunt for helpful resources on how to use SGP - I believe its quite a steep learning curve ??

5 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

SGP is fairly straightforwards. It just has a habit of losing setting that you have changed between sessions.

But that's probably just me doing something wrong! :icon_biggrin:

Cheers

Ian

You just need to make sure that you make any changes you want to stay in your equipment profile (via equipment profile manager).  If you change it in the profile that's already open it will not save.  

9 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

OK - thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.

I already use PHD2 for guiding so that's a none issue.

Sounds like SGP is the answer - then I can get rid of maxim and FocusMax. My two least favourite pieces of software !!

Thanks all.

Off to hunt for helpful resources on how to use SGP - I believe its quite a steep learning curve ??

Good choice.  The very first thing that struck me about SG Pro is just how easy and intuitive it is to use.  If you've mastered Maxim you will have no issues at all.  As noted above, just make sure you set your equipment profiles up as if you change things whilst you're imaging it won't save that change (sounds more complicated than it is).

Worth joining the SG Pro forum too, very helpful information and advice there.

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

You just need to make sure that you make any changes you want to stay in your equipment profile (via equipment profile manager).  If you change it in the profile that's already open it will not save.  

Well that's very intuitive! NOT. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Ray.

2 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

Well that's very intuitive! NOT. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Ray.

Yes agreed Ian.  I believe it was done that way so you could make a quick change during a session which you may not want to keep in that actual profile.  It's about the only thing that you really do need to think about but, once you get to grips with it, it does actually make sense.

I just have loads of profiles with a variety of combinations of my equipment.

13 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

So if you change something via the equipment profile manager - for the profile that is currently open - does it also change the opened version of the profile?

i.e. - Do you need to make the change twice?

Thanks Ray

No.  It will if you then select >file - Apply profile to sequence.

Edit:  To clarify, the no was for both.  If you change the profile manager it won't change the open profile, but no you don't have to do it twice.  If you decide to change something you know it will be permanent, then open profile manager, make the change there, then go to >file > Apply profile to sequence.  If the change is just a temporary one, such as a change of the camera setpoint temperature for a lower one, then do it in the open profile boxes and once you exit it won't save it, meaning next time you load the profile it will be the original setting.

Hope this make sense, but probably as clear as mud and the exact reason that I have started a YouTube channel to do simple to understand videos of things like this.

Archived