Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How safe is DSS?

Hey everyone, yes it's paranoid me again, wanting to check this time how safe DSS is to download. The website doesn't have the secure label, or https, in the corner of the search bar. Does this mean my computer may get viruses if I download from this site? How can I be sure I am not getting viruses? I'm sure it's safe as all of you computer experts use it but once again just making sure for peace of mind. :biggrin: 

1 minute ago, Bizibilder said:

Do you not have Anti-virus software?  There are free versions that are very good and will give you peace of mind as you use the internet as they will prevent you downloading from any dodgy sites.

I have windows defender, would this prevent me, or tell me at least, if something has malware in it before I run it?

12 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Some are so good that they even prevent you downloading from genuine sites (Avast for instance) :D

I've just reloaded all my astro software on a new laptop it's been a constant battle with AV and Windows trying to stop me loading all this dangerous stuff :grin:

Dave

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

If you have win defender on a win 10 machine then there is nothing better at any cost.

Alan

I always thought that if you are sensible enough not to enter you bank details into a dodgy site and have an idea of how to keep secure online, windows defender will do. If you have absolutely no clue what a virus is and are willing to give your credit card details to any site that asks, you probably need something a bit more intrusive. :laugh2:

7 minutes ago, martin_h said:

Not at all. Perfectly safe to download and install. There must be thousands of people using it.

They seem to have a one size fits all warning along the lines of " Less than 100 people in the whole world have downloaded this software " that pops up when you try to download / install astro software, so they assume it must be bad, on the other hand it must be a pretty crap virus if less than 100 users have caught it :grin:

Dave

Archived