NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first successful Ha image, Rosette Nebula

Nigel G

My first image with Ha filter (IC63) was not that good, I set ISO to high and had very bad Canon banding.

I set my scope on Rosette and ISO 800. The first sub of 6 minutes was very positive I raised the exposures to 8 then 10 minutes.

In total only 1h 40m with my modified Canon 1200d and 12nm Ha filter, as this was just a test of settings and exposure times.

Equinox 80 ED with flatener. Guided EQ3 Pro.

PHD2, DSS & StarTools.

As just a test I happens to be the easiest image to process and my cleanest image to date.

I love the way Ha keeps the stars under control :) and picks out finer detail.

Hope you like.

Nige.

Rosette-Ha71bin.thumb.jpg.4a3b7b5f690b3ae11e95ceb675922c5d.jpg

Rosette-Ha-1.thumb.JPG.732d5d002f8e6b33e6e6ee40b91ec475.JPG

Great effort Nige! I have a very similar set up to yours except I have a modded 1100d. I haven't tried using an filters yet but this post has inspired me.... can I ask where the filter goes in the imaging trail (e.g. inside DSLR, somewhere between the t-ring and the telescope etc) and do you use any sort of filter adapter? If so can you forward me a link please to the one you use? 

Ive been thinking about what to get myself for Xmas and I think I've just found it...

James

9 minutes ago, AstroJOE said:

Great effort Nige! I have a very similar set up to yours except I have a modded 1100d. I haven't tried using an filters yet but this post has inspired me.... can I ask where the filter goes in the imaging trail (e.g. inside DSLR, somewhere between the t-ring and the telescope etc) and do you use any sort of filter adapter? If so can you forward me a link please to the one you use? 

Ive been thinking about what to get myself for Xmas and I think I've just found it...

James

James, check out this link below.  I love my Ha filter, it produces great images from a DSLR. 100% worthwhile investment  

http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html

26 minutes ago, AstroJOE said:

James

tooth_dr has the right link, Astronomik EOS clip in filter :) 

Very pleased with it. 

Nige.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I want to put mine to work on the Rosette (assuming we get a clear night some time in the next six months!)

Good luck, I hope you get the clear sky and I look forward to seeing it :) 

23 hours ago, bobro said:

Great detail Nige! I'm thinking along the same lines - Ha filter is on its way and I plan to try it out on the California Nebula as a HaRGB. Hope I can do as well as you!

Bob

Thanks.

The California nebula is perfect for it. :) 

Good luck Bob.

19 minutes ago, bobro said:

Hey Nige, perhaps you could start a new thread ' Beginning imaging with an Ha filter'.

Note : Ha flter arrived today!

Bob

Not a bad idea Bob or maybe DSLR narrow band imaging  & great news about your fliter,  hope you can use it soon.

Nige. 

Archived