SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment with Polemaster or Sharpcap

I'm currently in the process of getting my AP equipment updated after a long long hiatus. I've heard a lot of good reports on the Polemaster, then found out about the Sharpcap PolarAlign tool included with the software (again, with good reports). Anyone have experience with either of these and is it worth forking out £280?

I hve both POLEMASTER and SHARP-CAP, did buy the Polemaster before SharpCap was able to perfrom P/A routine:icon_biggrin:.. If you have a clear and open view to POLARIS, then use SharpCap.. PHD2 is also a good alternate since few weeks! just download the latest version v2.6.4dev4..

Cheers

Martin

I use both..polemaster for the initial PA then load up sharpcap  for final fine tuning as I find it more accurate..

That's still using the polemaster camera and sharpcap  2.9...i recently loaded up the 3.0 version but find it doesn't solve as fast so using 2.9 for now..

I'd give sharpcap  a go first of..especially if you have already got a camera and guider

40 minutes ago, CrashEd said:

Presumably your guide scope needs to be completely aligned to your scope for this to work? Is there a practical way of doing this easily?

No, I think the software ignores this, it just plate solves and tells you where to adjust your mount.

33 minutes ago, knobby said:

No, I think the software ignores this, it just plate solves and tells you where to adjust your mount.

Ok, that’s good to know. 

41 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Sorry its the altair 60 and altair camera with SharpCap 

Are you saying that you don’t need a guide scope at all? 

the program works as Knobby post , only the scope and camera have to the right size for it to work.  IT take a photo then ask you to move the RA by 90 dec and it will work how far its out and tell to move the mount setting up down  left or right it taking me 15 mins st time out . after that around 5 mins as you work out the best way , like if it said left 6 and up 8  do 4 and 6  if you do just one at a time till its right when you move the next one the st one will be out again 

PS

On 15/11/2017 at 19:22, CrashEd said:

Presumably your guide scope needs to be completely aligned to your scope for this to work? Is there a practical way of doing this easily?

You are right,  I done some work on my scope and I taking the guide scope off. last night PA was well off. I had not move the mount and thinking about your post it can only this.

I fractured my knee last year, so I decided to buy Polemaster as kneeling is now a problem.  I think its absolutely fantastic and takes all the kneeling and neck ache out of the job. plus its far more accurate and no chance of polar aligning on the wrong star (which I did once at Kelling). 

I did not know about Sharpcap until after I had bought Polemaster, but took a look at it to see if I could use it on my 2nd mount which I hadn't yet bought an adapter for, but found it a bit complex.   For some-one like me who finds some softwares a bit of a challenge to install and get them to work, Polemaster is a doddle.  

Carole 

After ages of failing miserably in my attempts to polar align I found polemaster to be invaluable. But I would agree that you should try sharpcap first - it's free after all. Don't spend money on things you can do without. BUT if you have problems, then polemaster should sort them.

I highly recommended SharpCap if you have a clear view of the pole and a reasonably wide field with your imaging camera. I image with a ZWO 1600MM and an 80mm refractor so my field of view is more than enough for SharpCap to work really well.

Archived