Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

time lapse with SW star adventurer catch 22

Astroblagger

Hello

Im wanting to start timelapse with my sky watcher star adventurer, with a bit of foreground scenery, so if the mount is tracking the night sky for crisp images with no trailing then surely the foreground is getting blurred? or if you want a focused foreground the stars will be trailed? so is there anyway round this without dropping the exposure times down? I don't really have any fast widefield lenes??

At 30 seconds and wider than 50mm, which I presume the kit lens offers, you will barely notice any blur in the foreground once the sequence is played as a video. In fact, a bit of blur will help give the motion a more natural look and feel. Give it a go and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You can even up the exposure to 60 seconds and still get a great result. The only problem then is that as exposure time increases, so the total time to make a decent length clip increases. I look forward to seeing what you produce.

A long focal length would be a totally different story, where the movement of the foreground would be far greater per exposure and might well start to look plain blurry!

Depending how you go about this, you could fire a low level flash at the end of each exposure so the foreground is lit up and a lot clearer?

They key is experimenting with all sorts of values and ideas, there's no 'one answer' to it.

Archived