SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular chair mount

Peter Drew

Something I'd been meaning to make for ages, a comfortable all sky mount suitable for up to 80mm binoculars. It's a modified "zero gravity" chair mounted on a turntable that is manually driven in azimuth by a friction wheel. The turntable is OTT for the 50mm binocular shown and is intended eventually to suppoert a much larger construction for a 150mm instrument. You control the elevation by pressing your feet on to a footrest bar and the chair slowly recines until you can look at the zenith. A tendency, for the slightly out of balance weighting caused by the binocular support, to fall backwards near the zenith position, has been solved by attaching a Bungee cord between the footrest and the fixed frame of the chair. This also assists in returning the chair to the start position, a major breakthrough!  :lol:

x4 004.JPG

20 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Something I'd been meaning to make for ages, a comfortable all sky mount suitable for up to 80mm binoculars. It's a modified "zero gravity" chair mounted on a turntable that is manually driven in azimuth by a friction wheel. The turntable is OTT for the 50mm binocular shown and is intended eventually to suppoert a much larger construction for a 150mm instrument. You control the elevation by pressing your feet on to a footrest bar and the chair slowly recines until you can look at the zenith. A tendency, for the slightly out of balance weighting caused by the binocular support, to fall backwards near the zenith position, has been solved by attaching a Bungee cord between the footrest and the fixed frame of the chair. This also assists in returning the chair to the start position, a major breakthrough!  :lol:

x4 004.JPG

Hi Peter,

I love that a bungee cord was used in a major breakthrough.

Archived