NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Improving NGC7331.

ollypenrice

In the original version of NGC7331 and the Quintet, posted a while back, I had 14x15 minutes of luminance. Since 7331 is quite small (10x4 arcmins ) I had to push the processing pretty hard to sharpen up the details and, seen fullsize, this showed. We decided to add the same again in L to see if we could sweeten it up a bit. This is a crop.

NGC7331%20Crop-L.jpg

The whole thing now looks like this:

NGC7331%20Quintet-XL.jpg

Small improvements take a long time in this game!

Olly

PS This was with TEC140/Atik 460 mono and Mesu 200 mount.

Your original image was what inspired me to have a go at Stephan's Quintet at 2800mm posted last week - but even your original image at around one third of the FL seemed to show more detail than mine.  Now this one is even more smooth.  That TEC140 is certainly a capable scope.  Apart from the processing skills......

Spectacular.

Chris

Great image, Olly. I think that one of the things to strive for when imaging this group, is to resolve the arms of NGC 7340 (the leftmost galaxy above NGC 7331), and resolve the star and the galaxy's core. Both those boxes are ticked, end then some.

7 hours ago, cfpendock said:

Your original image was what inspired me to have a go at Stephan's Quintet at 2800mm posted last week - but even your original image at around one third of the FL seemed to show more detail than mine.  Now this one is even more smooth.  That TEC140 is certainly a capable scope.  Apart from the processing skills......

Spectacular.

Chris

Putting that TEC under dark, clear skies helps. A little. :wink:

3 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

I keep debating with myself just how much luminance data to capture.  I invariably lose the debate.

Be fair to yourself, Peter. It's a debate in which you're up against a formidable opponent...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Archived