Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Avalon T-Pod Tripod Range

DeepSkyMan

Hi there wondering if anybody has experience of using the Avalon T-Pod range of tripods.  I had my eyes set on an Altair Astro Starbase as an addition to my field observation platform, unfortunately production of these beasts has been suspended for the moment (issues with production costs v market price point).  I am consequently looking for an alternative and was wondering about the T-Pods.   One of the things that attracted me to the Starbase in the first place along with its ultra stable design, was its large adjustable feet.  I find that normal tripod feet on my back lawn, are not stable, they tend to sink into the soil during the course of an observing session.  The T-Pod feet look to be rather narrow in comparison to the Starbase, can anyone provide an opinion on their performance/stability in a lawn setup?

Kind Regards

Paul J.

Hi Paul,

I've got the mid-sized version of the T-Pod (great name btw - makes me want to put the kettle on every time :icon_biggrin:) and the feet are 4cm in diameter. The ground in my garden is fairly dry and hard and I've never had any issues with sinking however I would say that on softer soil there is a good chance that they will. I've also got the spikes which apparently work better in soft soil but to be honest I've never really tried them out so unfortunately can't comment:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8549_Avalon-Stahlspitzen--3-Stueck--fuer-T-Pod-Stative.html

Would it not be easier to just put down some small paving stones or similar to spread the load? Even better have them setup permanently with markers to make it easier to polar align next time.

36 minutes ago, AngryDonkey said:

Hi Paul,

I've got the mid-sized version of the T-Pod (great name btw - makes me want to put the kettle on every time :icon_biggrin:) and the feet are 4cm in diameter. The ground in my garden is fairly dry and hard and I've never had any issues with sinking however I would say that on softer soil there is a good chance that they will. I've also got the spikes which apparently work better in soft soil but to be honest I've never really tried them out so unfortunately can't comment:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8549_Avalon-Stahlspitzen--3-Stueck--fuer-T-Pod-Stative.html

Would it not be easier to just put down some small paving stones or similar to spread the load? Even better have them setup permanently with markers to make it easier to polar align next time.

Hi there Mike, thanks for your feedback.  Thinking about it, yeah... when in the back lawn I could put down some paving slabs (or similar).  However when at remote sites, It'd be convenient just to set up the tripod and not have to worry about 'that sinking feeling...' :-)   I quite like the look of the T-Pods, from what I can make out, the only variable between the different models is the height, is this the case, or are there variations in capacity/strength?

My current observing kit is an 8" EdgeHD on a Vixen Sphinx SXW with the Vixen HAL 130 tripod.  Obviously the HAL 130 designation relates to the upper height limit, looking at the 3 models I believe that like yourself, the 110 will probably suit my requirements, I don't think I can ever foresee when I would be operating the tripod at the 130cm max.  The T-Pods are probably overkill for my current outfit, however I am looking to future-proof the tripod for when I eventually upgrade the mount to something more substantial.

Paul.

Archived