Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Signed up to an Astronomical Society

Littleguy80

I’ve finally made the jump and posted my application to the Norwich Astromical Society. Comes with the big benefit of access to a really well set up dark site. I had a tour of the site and enjoyed one of the members talks a few weeks ago thanks to SGL member @Cjg. I’m also looking forward to seeing what scopes other members are using. Feels like the next big step to getting the most out of my existing equipment before I consider a new scope. 

Joining a local club was probably one of the best decisions I've made since starting the hobby. Joining a group that holds organized events has enabled me to get my scope out more than I otherwise probably would have. I feel like it's helped me get the most out of my investment and I've had a ton of fun doing it and sharing the experience with others.

I recognize that some people are solitary and prefer the alone time, but for those others, I'd recommend looking for a local group to join or starting one of your own.

29 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Hi Neil, Norwich Astronomical Society seems like a very good group to join, I often wish I was located nearer.

Good luck.

Thanks Alan. It's a great site and seemed like a really nice bunch of people when I visited. Are there no clubs closer to home for you?

On 18/10/2017 at 10:43, Littleguy80 said:

I’ve finally made the jump and posted my application to the Norwich Astromical Society. Comes with the big benefit of access to a really well set up dark site. I had a tour of the site and enjoyed one of the members talks a few weeks ago thanks to SGL member @Cjg. I’m also looking forward to seeing what scopes other members are using. Feels like the next big step to getting the most out of my existing equipment before I consider a new scope. 

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the mention; wait until you get a clear night from the "far end", when the skies are clear, it's a superb place to observe from. Keep your eyes out for your forum logon details, may be a while as we are supporting the forum and the Norwich Science festival this week, but that's where we post details of our "out of hours" observing sessions. Magical with just the stars and owls for company! 

November 3rd, we have Owen Brazell (he writes for Astronomy Now) coming to give a talk "Observing Galaxies" will be superb.

See you soon,

Chris

1 hour ago, Cjg said:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the mention; wait until you get a clear night from the "far end", when the skies are clear, it's a superb place to observe from. Keep your eyes out for your forum logon details, may be a while as we are supporting the forum and the Norwich Science festival this week, but that's where we post details of our "out of hours" observing sessions. Magical with just the stars and owls for company! 

November 3rd, we have Owen Brazell (he writes for Astronomy Now) coming to give a talk "Observing Galaxies" will be superb.

See you soon,

Chris

Thanks Chris. Really looking forward to it. The observing galaxies talk sounds great! Good luck supporting the science festival :) 

20 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

There is one located in Lincoln but I would imagine the light pollution there is far worse than my back garden. 

Usually the idea is that although there is light pollution you still get out to meet others, chat, talk, compare equipment and even in the murke of the LP set up a scope or two and have a peer around.

In the UK observing perfection is not going to happen, just grab and take what you can. Oddly the Cambridge club does not have any specific club observing and it is still a big club. Kind of shows that observing is not necessarily fundimental for an astro club. If they do any observing it is on the light polluted area of West Camb, which has just expanded to surround the location even more.

Archived