NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Forum monthly comparative observation target

MartinB

Don't worry about the targets. Trees stop me from getting within 20 degrees of te Southern horizon so any targets will be fairly high.

We have 2 possible projects.

Martin has picked a specific target M81/82. That can be tricky from light polluted sites so I could find 2 other targets that people can view if M81/82 proves elusive.

Let me know if this is of interest.

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say I'm late to this thread, but given it was only started yesterday......

I think this a fantastic idea and one that would encourage everyone to take part. As you have all stated, it's not an equipment thing, but a visual comparative and report.

So, to make things a little easier to follow, how about I create a Monthly Comparative board where we can keep the reports together, each target(s) then has it's own topic within the board. I'd suggest that the thread title is then "M81/M82 - March 2005", so we can track them as time goes by.

One question - how do we go about choosing the following month's targets?

Ian - I'd say go ahead, so we can set up March's topic. We can discuss the question above then....

Count me in, from sunny Glasgow. Just don't set the targets too l,ow on the horizon - I'm 56 degrees north up here. I'll use my LX90.

Are you going to set aside a particular place in SGL for the observation reports? - and when do you want the reports in by (oh powerful one).

Tom

Southerner!!!

59 dergrees north here!

nabban

I forgot Nabban - you are much further north than me. Good in Winter though - dark almost all the time.

Only been to Orkney once - lovely place on a Summers day. Highland Park single malt is good too.

Tom

Hi Daz,

Why not simply pick a constellation that rises by 8pm and is fairly high above the horizon by 10pm - early observers still get to see it, and late observers will have it high in the sky by midnight. ???

Creating a monthly board is a great idea.

Tom

So, to make things a little easier to follow, how about I create a Monthly Comparative board where we can keep the reports together, each target(s) then has it's own topic within the board. I'd suggest that the thread title is then "M81/M82 - March 2005", so we can track them as time goes by.

One question - how do we go about choosing the following month's targets?

Ian - I'd say go ahead, so we can set up March's topic. We can discuss the question above then....

Great stuff Daz. Here is a little aid to finding that could go on the intro to this months target. Ian has commented on the problem of LP for a dim target like this. the effect of LP on what we are able to see will be quite interesting. Would be a shame if people are excluded so perhaps Ian could suggest a more reliable target for people badly affected by LP. May be people could send in suggestions for future observing targets. I agree they need to get reasonably high in the sky at some point during the civilised time of night.

image.jpg

Martin

Yeah, we want people to be able to observe the targets, however, it is also interesting to see if people with LP can see some of the fainter objects - in this way we could almost run our own LP study.

I like the idea that people make the suggestions for the following months targets.

I have a couple of questions for the rest of the admin team, but I would like to think by the end of the day, we should have this in place.

OK, the board is now in place!

For the time being, only the Mod team can create new topics - mainly so we can keep it tidy and focused on the targets chosen.

I have posted the thread for M81/M82, and a question asking for suggestions for the 2nd target. Incidentally, how many targets should we have per month?

OK, the board is now in place!

For the time being, only the Mod team can create new topics - mainly so we can keep it tidy and focused on the targets chosen.

I have posted the thread for M81/M82, and a question asking for suggestions for the 2nd target. Incidentally, how many targets should we have per month?

Daz

I suggested 3 targets earlier in the thread.

Easy, meduim and hard based on a medium sized scope (6" refector/4" refractor)

Very similar to what Greg has donw in the other thread.

Cheers

Ian

Archived