Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starguider 12mm or Xcel LX 12mm ?

N3ptune

Should i get a Starguider or a Xcel LX 12mm ?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should i get a Starguider or a Xcel LX 12mm ?

• 12mm Starguider
    • 12mm Xcel-LX

Hi!

I am in a dilemma over a 12mm eyepiece and a poll could be interesting since both eyepieces have good ratings. Actually I am using a 25mm XcelLX with a 2x Barlow to get 80x. But I would like to get rid of the barlow and have a single eyepiece instead 12mm to get my +-83x, which is my target. All that using the BKP 200 DS (200p) F5 200x 1000.

I own 3 XcelLX which I like very much but I am tempted to get a first Starguider too (BST or Agena) I thought of getting an Orthoscopic Fujiyama 12.5mm but the 42d field of view won't cut it this time,  60 degree minimum.

Let's vote!

(You can tell me what you think also)

JWUm8Ky.png?1

i4r8mEX.jpg?1

I don't think there is a lot in it. Maybe a touch optically in favour of the LXs for astronomical use but they have been reported to be susceptible to internal paint flecks falling onto the lenses. Usually I'd say Starguider as I found them a bit more comfortable but if you've already got three LXs you might want another to match. If I remember correctly the 12mm Starguider was parfocal with the 7mm LX I had. 

I've had both as well. I've voted Starguider because I don't think the additional cost (around £20 here) of the X-Cell LS gets you additional performance and only a small increase in finish quality. Either would be a good choice though. While £20 is not a large amount will cover a nice book or 40% of the cost of your next Starguider :icon_biggrin:

If you have x-cels you should at least try a starguider. I had 3 x-cel lxs and bought a BST to try. Like John said, the finish of the X-cels is slightly better. But I think the BSTs are fantastic value for money.

I've had issues with black flecks on a couple of x-cels. I think I'd stick to BST in the future...although it would look nice to have a case that had the same range/brand of eyepiece in it :tongue2:

Well bah.. it's not very important if i have various brands and get only a partial collection.I am leaning towards the starguider right now, I think it would be great to have a different product for the 12mm.  I have to let this macerate in my head.

I want to sell the barlow, the 5mm XcelLX and the LET 28mm. They need to go.

I tested BST Starguiders and Xcel lx's side by side a couple of years back. I found them optically very similar but the BST's felt like they had a wider field of view even though the are indeed both 60 degrees. It just felt like you were in the action a bit more with the BST's i.e less set back, and they were more comfortable plus cheaper to buy. 

I very much rate Celestron's next line up in eyepieces, the Luminos. If you see one of those second hand it might be worth a try, although the closest would be a 10mm.

2 minutes ago, Pig said:

There’s is an 8mm  Straguider for sale on ABS for £35,  John posted the link to the web page in his post above. 

That's probably mine in which case it sold yesterday on here (didn't get back from work until late so not cancelled the add yet). 

The OP is also in Canada.

Great EP, it was a tough call to replace it with the 9mm SLV. 

Ok this is interesting thanks for the suggestions and website. Right now the only focal length I am interested in is 12mm. Note: I read many times Luminos are not very good with F5 newtonian, I would skip them this time.

Archived