NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens or Mount?

M Astronomy

Hey everyone! I have recently got a Canon 1300d and have been having a great with widefield imaging, getting some nice shots of the milky way and constellations. However, I have unfortunately caught the bug. The astrophotography bug that is! I'm thinking of buying a new lens as I'm only using the kit lens just now. The Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f2.8 looks a very popular lens, and would allow me to get more detailed shots with the lower f number and wider field of view. However, at a little bit more cash, I could buy an EQ5 mount with motors (no GoTo). This would allow my to track and therefore stack my images. What do you think I should go for? I currently am building my astrophotography setup in steps, so I don't have to save up masses of money. After I buy the mount I'd get a telescope for it when I have the cash (a Skywatcher 150pds?), would the EQ5 be capable of holding a telescope and camera rig? Don't want to have to upgrade it as soon as I get it just because it can't take the payload. But the lens looks tempting. Help me out here guys!  

1. mount (get your self acquainted with EQ mounts, eq-mod, goto, tracking and such and of course stacking images)

2. Samyang 135 f2 lens (get yourself a bit more FL and see how it works for you)

3. SW 130pds (move on to "real" stuff :D )

that would be my priority list for shopping.

I would agree with Vlaiv, getting an eq mount and learning how to take multiple subs and use of stacking software will keep you busy for a while even with the kit lens. If you like to be portable (even an eq3 is a big heavy lump) then stick with a camera tripod and wide lens in differing locations.

Alan

Thanks for the replies. So you think the EQ5 is a good enough mount for imaging? I would really like an HEQ5 Pro but they are a huge step up in price from the EQ5. I probably would buy the EQ5 GoTo kit a while later, if I feel I need it. Thanks for the help!

8 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

Thanks for the replies. So you think the EQ5 is a good enough mount for imaging? I would really like an HEQ5 Pro but they are a huge step up in price from the EQ5. I probably would buy the EQ5 GoTo kit a while later, if I feel I need it. Thanks for the help!

Many people image with eq5, so I believe it is good for imaging with short focal lengths (in telescope terms, meaning <= 600 - 700mm). If you use laptop you don't really need goto kit - eq mod + stellarium or some other planetarium software will serve as a goto. If you don't want to use laptop, then goto add on is an option, but not really necessary for imaging - it will only help find targets, but that can be done manually.

1 minute ago, Frank the Troll said:

Bit of a false economy if your thinking of getting an EQ5 and then getting the goto upgrade kit later on imo

How do you mean? They sell a GoTo upgrade on FLO. It doesn't mean I have to get rid of my EQ5, it just adds on. It's still a lot cheaper than the HEQ5.

9 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

How do you mean? They sell a GoTo upgrade on FLO. It doesn't mean I have to get rid of my EQ5, it just adds on. It's still a lot cheaper than the HEQ5.

It is normally cheaper to buy the EQ5 goto rather than as an add on but in this case the price difference from FLO is just a few quid so makes sense. If you are happy with shorter focal lengths especially camera lens numbers with fast optics then the EQ5 will be fine and also good enough for Lunar/Planetary with a longer scope.

Alan

Years ago people managed with a humble EQ5 and they are a good workhorse of a mount, i dont image but i have had 90sec at short focal length scope camera with no trailing just using dual axis drives, if you got the enhanced dual drive, and then later upgraded to the full goto you would be able to sell the drive kit for a bit of payback

7 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Years ago people managed with a humble EQ5 and they are a good workhorse of a mount, i dont image but i have had 90sec at short focal length scope camera with no trailing just using dual axis drives, if you got the enhanced dual drive, and then later upgraded to the full goto you would be able to sell the drive kit for a bit of payback

Back in the 60s I could do 3 min subs with a film camera/lens on a Charles Frank mount using the 6 inch reflector as a guide and frantically twiddling the manual knobs :icon_biggrin:

Alan

I say get a mount... you'll get better images with your stock lens tracked on a EQ mount than with a "better" lens on a tripod. Ultimately you will have to get used to using a eq mount if you get serious about astrophotography. 

AND there is nothing unfortunate about catching the AP bug... 

if you have the camera then just go for a Skywatcher star adventurer it is eq and will track well when polar alined  and stick with lenses for the time being and learn to stack and process while saving for the bigger stuff  and most lenses out there will do for astro imaging if you stop them down 2 f stops it dosnt have to cost a lot at the start and get steve richards book making every photon count you will find it very helpful 

If you buy an EQ5 and stay in astrophotography you will, honestly, end up replacing it with an HEQ5 for its great accuracy under guiding. The EQ6 has a bigger payload but is no more accurate than the HEQ5 and is less portable, so for small scope imaging the HEQ5 is fine for far into the future.

If you bought a Star Adventurer and stayed in astrophotography you would probably want to keep it for its portability and excellence as a travel mount for lens imaging. Absolutely nothing beats a dark sky so getting a portable setup to let you get to one has a lot going for it.

I would say that the EQ5 rather falls into a hole between the two.

You say, 'and would allow me to get more detailed shots with the lower f number and wider field of view.'  The F number will not affect the detail in terms of resolution but it will affect how deep you can go in a given exposure time. It is focal length which drives resolution of detail (provided you can track accurately.)

Olly

Thanks for the help guys! I probably won't buy a Star Adventure just because I know I want to put a telescope on the mount in the future. So the EQ5 isn't really worth it do you not think when the HEQ5 is out there? I would really like to buy the HEQ5 but it just seems an unnecessary amount of money, when I could buy an EQ5 and 150pds for less.

19 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

Thanks for the help guys! I probably won't buy a Star Adventure just because I know I want to put a telescope on the mount in the future. So the EQ5 isn't really worth it do you not think when the HEQ5 is out there? I would really like to buy the HEQ5 but it just seems an unnecessary amount of money, when I could buy an EQ5 and 150pds for less.

Trying to photograph a star is like trying to pick up a pea with chopsticks five metres long. The accuracy of the mount is, in effect, what holds the chopsticks steady enough to make it possible.

One of the rare areas of agreement amongst astrophotographers is that the mount always comes first. It may be counter intuitive and seem unreasonable but almost everything about deep sky imaging is counter-intuitive and unreasonable. Get used to it! It's part of the fun.

Olly

Arggggg so many things to think about! I want to get the HEQ5, because as I think about I probably will end up getting it at some point. It does mean that it will be longer until I can afford it, and since it's coming into the winter I really would like to get it soon. If only I had an unlimited supply of money to spend on astrophotography :sad:

18 hours ago, M Astronomy said:

Arggggg so many things to think about! I want to get the HEQ5, because as I think about I probably will end up getting it at some point. It does mean that it will be longer until I can afford it, and since it's coming into the winter I really would like to get it soon. If only I had an unlimited supply of money to spend on astrophotography :sad:

Consider buying second hand. In our commercially-operating observatories our two premium mounts were bought second hand, as were our two SCTs, our three apo refractors, our big Dob and our binoculars. Plus several eyepieces, come to think of it. The typical saving over new is aobut 30% for perfect itmes.

Olly

Don't rule out the star adventurer.  It is a great mount and I prefer it at the moment to using my AVX and scope combo.

As has been said, it tracks beautifully, is a doddle to setup (can be done in 10 mins and that is me faffing about) and for its size, has a decent weight capacity.

Results from it are top drawer and the portability is a boon.  Am still yet to get mine to a dark site, but am hoping that will be soon.

If it was myself and the funds stretched, I would go Star Adventurer and another lens with lower f number.

I think I'm going to stick with the EQ5. It's more portable than an HEQ5, cheaper, I'll get it soon, and with motors I can still track objects (even if its not nearly as accurate as the HEQ5). I'm not looking for professional looking photos just now, it's really only a hobby, and I really can't justify spending £700+ on a mount. I'll keep a look out for a second hand HEQ5, but I wouldn't be able to collect it and postage and packaging costs an absolute fortune where I live. I don't want to go for the Star Adventurer, just because it won't take the load of a 150pds (seeing as that's my next part of my astrophotography plan). Seeing others attempts with a 150pds and an EQ5, it's definitely possible without top end equipment. Thanks for all the help!

Buy the lens!

As a photographer 1st, I can honestly say that nothing has brought me greater pleasure than my Pentax DA15mm.  I can use it indoors, under april skies, I've even taken photos of stars with it!  Plus I can take photos of kids, pets, mountains, the Fens, and daytime skies!

Obviously I know nothing about EQ mounts and such things (having a goto thingy)and I don't know what you are hoping to do in the future.  But certainly if you currently have a Canon KIT zoom lens then I'd recommend buying a fixed focal length wide angle lens while you decide what kind of mount would suit you best!

It might not bring you what you are looking for from an astrophotography point of view, but a good wide angle lens is such a great thing to have! 

Anyway that's a completely alternative point of view for you!

Cheers

MZ

(PS. I guess I only see my telescope as a big lens for my camera anyway!)

Archived