Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flight Case for camera, scope and accessories

Hi there,

I currently own a small refractor which i know i'll be using more than my SCT and may even take it on holidays at some point so looking at some sort of a sturdy flight case (I know there are plastic boxes option but i've been looking at aluminium storage case

The scope is a WO Star 71 which will have my ASI1600 and FW constantly attached to it. 

The current soft carry case that came with the scope is good enough on it's own because i can keep almost everything that i need (polemaster, little QHY guidescope and cam, bahtinov mask, cables) in the little containers alongside the scope but i have to constantly attach and detach the camera off the scope. I might as well keep it all attached and in the same storage.

Now looking at some cases (obviously do not want to spend a huge amount on it because i'm already super broke), i've been looking at https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-case-680x300x190mm.html 

Maybe i'm answering my own questions here, but any other sane options within the same price range and size?

Thanks

That's fine for storage and transport at home or in a car. But that's nowhere near robust enough for airline hold travel. I have several from that same company for eyepieces and scope storage at home, but even after flight travel in hand luggage the smaller Cases & Enclosures Case has shown signs of weakness.

If you are contemplating "sturdy", that's far from sturdy... Even for use in hand luggage I've dispensed with it.

My professional camera gear and such like that have to go as checked luggage are always in Peli Cases.

Cheers Stargazer McCabe ... The case will be used to store away the scope at home and also as a hand luggage on the flight (Dimensions are within the cabin luggage restrictions) ... maybe a bungee cord to hold it down and/or bubble wrap the exterior when taking it on flight?

Peli Case here from RS Components. Measures 232mmx192mmx111mm.
I think it's around 50 quidish, a bit more expensive than the Ali Case.
Not sure if the dimensions are big enough for the gear you are putting in there though.
The price may not be VAT inclusive either.  Larger ones are much dearer.

Peli Case.jpg

20 minutes ago, barkis said:

Peli Case here from RS Components. Measures 232mmx192mmx111mm.
I think it's around 50 quidish, a bit more expensive than the Ali Case.
Not sure if the dimensions are big enough for the gear you are putting in there though.
The price may not be VAT inclusive either.  Larger ones are much dearer.

Peli Case.jpg

Unfortunately the size is too small on this bad boy.

5 minutes ago, Helen said:

I've used a Clas Olsen case for my solar gear and WO72 scope http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Instrument-Case/31-4142  Very solid.  Not sure the one I have would take the filter wheel and camera permanently attached though, but they do a bigger one with wheels...

Helen

You're correct, on it's own this will take the scope without any issue but not big enough to hold the FW and camera attached to the scope. I really want to move away from taking the camera off and back on if i can help it. Saves me the time and precious clear skies.

The WO soft case is about 17" and i need another 6"~ for the camera and FW which makes it a 21" altogether.

3 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Peli cases are the sort of thing that you're after..

Tbh, no. Only because they're super expensive. I want something to just get the job done. I'm not going to be throwing the case on the floor or anything silly :) It will be handled with care and love. So cheaper option that will just do the job is basically what i'm looking for. Just to complicate things a little more that is :)

Luggage handlers is precisely the reason why i will go with me in the cabin :)

I'm also seeing https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr which was recommended by a friend here on SGL but he is using QSI683 which seems like a right fit for this but not entirely sure if it is going to be for ASI1600 & FW. Eeeeek! i hate these silly decisions

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers Stargazer McCabe ... The case will be used to store away the scope at home and also as a hand luggage on the flight (Dimensions are within the cabin luggage restrictions) ... maybe a bungee cord to hold it down and/or bubble wrap the exterior when taking it on flight?

If that's the end goal then the one you linked to in your original post will do the job. 

You'll find the outer aluminium alarmingly thin and the catches flimsy. The construction "lacking". But as something to surround the kit in foam for a flight in hand baggage it will do the job. 

But be prepared to buy another one for your second trip away...

The old adage "buy cheap buy twice" could have been invented for these...

5 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

If that's the end goal then the one you linked to in your original post will do the job. 

You'll find the outer aluminium alarmingly thin and the catches flimsy. The construction "lacking". But as something to surround the kit in foam for a flight in hand baggage it will do the job. 

But be prepared to buy another one for your second trip away...

The old adage "buy cheap buy twice" could have been invented for these...

I must admit, you're absolutely right and that's the only reason why i haven't been able to pull the trigger on this i guess.

The second link i just posted seems like a good deal but what's really annoying was that the price of this case was £10 cheaper yesterday and i've missed out on it :( otherwise within that price range it was an amazing deal. Only thing which i'm not too sure of is whether it would hold my scope, camera and FW in or not. 

Looking at the Backfocus diagram for WO, the length of the scope is 325mm, i think another 20mm for the fw and around 100mm (just a guess) for the ASI1600. So around 450mm is all what i require. This will be a tight fit but a fit indeed. 

5 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Last thing I'd do would be to travel with everything attached. That's asking for trouble in my view. 

Any jolts or bumps I'd rather there was no unnecessary force on any camera to filter wheel or filter wheel to scope connections. 

But that's your call...

fair point 

If you're hand carrying it, your current soft case should be good enough.  Just put it up in the overhead bin toward the end of boarding to keep other bags from crushing it or keep it down at your feet.  If you want additional protection, buy a slightly larger carry-on case to put the soft case in with a closed cell foam wrap around the inner soft case (think cheap camping ground pad).  That stuff is very tough and protective.

Not going any where any time soon but something i can buy now and not having to worry about it later. The case will like i said take in the scope + camera + fw all attached so i do not have to waste any time doing all of that. Plus i can reuse the flats without introducing any dust to the filters (i know they will come in somehow but avoid as much as i can) and then when i travel to the motherland, i can take it with me as well rather than in a soft carry case.

That is the goal really:)

Archived