Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Specific Eyepiece Question

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not, as equipment is showing up I am coming up with more questions.  :happy8::help:  They remain "specific eyepiece questions", so I am just going to keep asking them here.  I ended up getting myself 3 new Explore Scientific 82* EPs; upon reading some forum posts dedicated specifically to these EPs, the sizes I chose are 4.7mm, 18mm and 30mm.  I had read about how big the 30mm was, but it was still bigger than I anticipated.  I also came across somebody's post, though I can't find it now, who mentioned using counter-balances when using a 30mm with the same C8 set up I have.  Does anybody know if I should be considering using a counter-balance when using this EP with my scope?  If so, how would I begin going about doing that?  Thanks again!

36 minutes ago, Hayduke27 said:

Believe it or not, as equipment is showing up I am coming up with more questions.  :happy8::help:  They remain "specific eyepiece questions", so I am just going to keep asking them here.  I ended up getting myself 3 new Explore Scientific 82* EPs; upon reading some forum posts dedicated specifically to these EPs, the sizes I chose are 4.7mm, 18mm and 30mm.  I had read about how big the 30mm was, but it was still bigger than I anticipated.  I also came across somebody's post, though I can't find it now, who mentioned using counter-balances when using a 30mm with the same C8 set up I have.  Does anybody know if I should be considering using a counter-balance when using this EP with my scope?  If so, how would I begin going about doing that?  Thanks again!

The 30mm is a very nice eyepiece, and will give you some nice, wider fields in the C8.

Have you tried the scope on your mount to check the balance? You may find that of you are able to shift the scope far enough forward then a counter balance is not needed. Again, if you have a dew shield fitted that adds weight to the front end and helps the situation. Apologies, I can't recall which mount you are using?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The 30mm is a very nice eyepiece, and will give you some nice, wider fields in the C8.

Have you tried the scope on your mount to check the balance? You may find that of you are able to shift the scope far enough forward then a counter balance is not needed. Again, if you have a dew shield fitted that adds weight to the front end and helps the situation. Apologies, I can't recall which mount you are using?

I have the C8 NexStar SE stock setup.  I have been using it with the OTA as far forward as I can get it, as I have been viewing Cygnus a lot in the evenings and it is up near the zenith.  As it is, I can barely make room for the 1.25" EP and diagonal to clear the base.  I am sure the new diagonal and EPs will have a lot more limitations on just how high I can point the scope.  I can only move the OTA so far forward before the dovetail meets the rear OTA "ring", and I worry that mounting over that ring may damage something.

I only just received the new EPs and haven't had the chance to even try them yet.  I think there's a good chance I'll be okay balance-wise, but thought I'd throw this out there just in case anybody felt strongly like I should be counter-balancing.  On that note, if my scope was too rear-heavy, what would be the result?  What are the signs I need to balance things?  Would I be unable to move the scope?  Damage the gears/equipment?  Do I need to be careful?

Technically speaking, you could mount a longer dovetail bar with the back end protruding beyond the rear of the OTA.  You'd probably have to remove the existing one and replace it with a longer one.  I do this with my AT72ED.  The scope is so short and back heavy, that I have an 8" bar mounted to the normal mounting foot, but protruding about 4 inches behind the focuser tube when fully racked in.  I tend to like using a 2" diagonal with an optical field flattener and 2+ pound eyepieces in the diagonal.  It won't balance otherwise without weights up front, and that kind of defeats the whole lightweight, grab and go aspect of it.  Alternatively, there are weight bars with sliding weights you can attach to the other side your SCT tube.  You could even cook up a home brew version.  Just remember, it will put more top to bottom torque on a single arm fork mount even when perfectly balanced.

Not sure how you balance an 8SE. Normal process with other mounts is to carefully loosen the clutches and see if the scope stays put, then moves in both directions freely and stays put whereever you leave it. Not sure if that is possible on yours?

I've made DIY solutions in the past but this one looks good. Just check whether you need the Vixen or Losmandy version

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p752_Baader-Balance-Weight-1kg-with-Vixen-Level-Clamb.html

Archived