Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How is the sky over there?

Piero

It is nice and clear over here and the Tak is jumping inside his padded case, anxious to get some fresh air! :icon_biggrin: 

Last night it was the same. The double cluster was visible naked eye. M31 was slightly detectable naked eye too. Here are the main targets I observed: 
- all the main open clusters south of Cassiopeia and Cygnus  [mainly docter]
- Albireo, M56, M27 (the line in the middle was easily visible), M71 [mainly docter]
- M11: the Nikon + barlow gave me a superb view. 
- the two large NGC open clusters east of 71-72 Oph  [35 Pan]
- M57: again, the nikon + barlow showed a lovely view 
- Veil nebula: no witch, no broom, slightly detectable central cascade of gas, BUT it's the first time I see the eastern side so well! there were ramifications everywhere, and that was great. I start liking this 35 Pan quite a lot. 
- M2, M15 [docter, nikon]

How is your sky after this rainy day? 

Thank you, John. :icon_biggrin:

I have to say that three targets completely exceeded my expectations: M11, M57, and the Veil (using OIII).

- M11. I expected many faint stars, but certainly didn't expect to see a so well defined global structure of the whole cluster. Also, I didn't expect to resolve so many stars! I went above 200x and the view was just stunning to my eye. 

- M57. Also this target took a lot of magnification. Even though no filter was used, some shade on the ring was detectable. Really interesting.

- Veil. The eastern side was intriguing with plenty of architecture to observe and study. Well worth spending many sessions on this! 

Sounds fabulous Piero, cloudy, occasional drizzle and generally cold here, quite a shock after spending nearly two weeks in NW Mallorca. Hoping it improves through early next week for a dark / transparent sky trip out and some challenging nebulae quests, such as sharpless 132, The Lion Nebula, large and faint emission in Cepheus a good one for a rich field scope I believe if you fancy a go.

Cloudy.

Did have 10 mins of sky last night between showers though and as you found,  M31 was clearly visible naked eye, ditto the Double Cluster, although anything nearer the horizon such as the Triangular Galaxy was barely visible even through the bins.

Chris

Archived