Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

televue 76 as a spotting scope.

hi all , has anyone who owns a tv76 used it as a spotting scope? i cant make my mind up to sell my tv76 and buy a dedicated spotter ie.. waterproof, fog proof etc.. and a lot lighter.. or use my 76 i have tried with a 2" 45 degree diagonal didnt work not enough in focus .

a 1.25  works but dont like the combination with my baarder zoom lens i find the tv awkward to use this way. the only thing thats keeping me from selling it is the cracking lens,  i dont think a spotting scope will match the optics .

i cant buy another scope i will end up with more scopes than flo.... any ideas how i can improve the tv. john. 

I loved my TV76, lovely scope. I'm sure the optics would make it a better spotting scope than many dedicated ones, but it will be a bit of a lump compared with them and obviously not weatherproof. Tough decision!

An article here might be of interest, if you have not already read, scroll down for the feature One for the birds,

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/telescopes/60mm-78mm-refractors/televue-76-doublet-apochromat-refractor-r2319

Never considered using my TV76 for this, actually its not received much use at all for a while, do aspire to take it hiking and go for large low surface brightness and dark (Milky way) nebulae. 

In my view the 76mm would make a great spotter.  In the past I have used a Megrez 90 and an Equinox 80 for the same purpose.  Birders using the same hide have been astonished at the optical quality.  It's strange your 76 wouldn't focus, I had no trouble using 1.25 fit 45 or 90 degree erecting diagonals in the scopes I used.

As Stu poined out though, astro scopes are not weatherproof and they don't endure knocks and being bundled in a rucksack with your lunch as a dedicated good spotting scope will.

If you think of getting a spotter you should consider the Celestron Regal series.  They have fabulous ED glass, take 1.25 eyepieces and work well beyond their price point - they come in 65mm, 80mm and 100mm sizes.  They also come with a very good zoom lens which works well on astro scopes.  I have the 65mm.

If all else fails, you won't find anyone more experienced, and enthusiastic as Peter, to cut your telescope in half!  :laughing4:

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

It's strange your 76 wouldn't focus, I had no trouble using 1.25 fit 45 or 90 degree erecting diagonals in the scopes I used.

I think the issue is with a 2" erecting Prism Paul, the 1.25" does reach focus.

I must admit I use my Tak with an erecting Prism occasionally as a spotter and it is very nice indeed. Plenty of infocus though so no focus problems.

Stu, I've used my Tak through the window looking toward the distant moors and it gives fabulous images as you can imagine.  I'd love to take it to a RSPB reserve I go to (I photograph the wild red deer that frequent the reserve, not the birds), it would be worth it just to hear the comments when birders saw me pointing the DL through the hide window:smile:.  They would be stunned by the images even more than when I took the Megrez 90 and the Equinox 80.

Yes, of course you're right about the 2 inch prism being the issue stu, so not too surprising as I indicated.

Hi guys I may carry on with the tv 76 for a while , it is the 2" prism that's the problem a 1.25 one I have works fine, I may get a scope cover and make it fit give it a bit of protection.  I will keep away the the astronomy center just in case peter grabs it with his hacksaw ?.  

Archived