SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2017-09-01 - The Moon Clavius crater & friends

N3ptune

Wow, I am back from a great great moon observation at the end of my street. I have a permission from the farmer there to occupy a small spot along the field. It's not a place I like much for DSO observation because of the cars headlights a few hundreds of meters away, on the other side of the field. But for planetary observation, it's my favourite place, it's close from my home, it's quite dark too, there are no street lights.

My old favourite spot is available again this year, it was closed for some time but I went there DSO hunting a few days ago, I am so happy to have this spot back, with 11 different observation spots right now, I feel like a rich [removed word] and soon there will be an exploration trip to the north to discover something new and far superior in term of light pollution. It's a project.

So this is a sketch bellow, it took some time.. maybe around 1 hour, temperature was cold, I had to get inside my car a few minutes to warm me up has well has drying the sketching sheet, this helps a lot to prevent the lead from scratching the paper. I also found this very good eraser from Steadtler, it's incredibly effective compare to a standard office eraser. It's very soft and it's erasing a lot without blurring all the sketch, very good eraser.

BZWJVLH.png?1

Temperature was about 9d Celsius, transparency good but the seeing was average with some turbulence making the process of catching details difficult. I used my 200 x 1000 Newtonian with the ES 4.7mm and the fantastic neodymium filter, the view at 212x was about 7.5/10 for the whole time, not bad, though, the orthoscopic 7mm was way superior at 143x in therm of quality and sharpness.. it's too bad I find 143x power is not enough for the moon.

It was fun to do the sketch, it was calm outside with a bit of wind but that's it. I hope you like it.

8P7AA8N.png

On 9/1/2017 at 15:08, mariosi said:

So wonderful! Nice and hard work, bravo. 

Unfinished sketch last night for me. Very bad seeing and cloudy. 

Regards 

Marios

59a9afff7ec17_Moonsketch.png.fae47a93706812df10267b9dcfc241ad.png

Wow Mariosi your crater has stunning precision, it's a true piece of art, so much details inhere. Very nice thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks people for the kind comments (: really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived