Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ha haaa, ready for the new season

Uplooker

I have cleaned my mirror! I know lots of people will say Noooooo!

It was a bit and I mean a lot dusty, but it also looked as if a snail had taken a shortcut across it, so I wanted to get rid of it so that the mirror/coatings were not affected.

I know that loads of people are really apprehensive about cleaning mirrors. It is right that a mirror needs to be really dirty before it will even remotely affect viewing.

As long as you are sensible and take care you will be fine.

One of the things that people ask about a lot is whether to use de-ionised or distilled water. Personally, after having soaked the mirror in warm water, with the smallest drop of washing up liquid, I use my already cleaned fingers to very gently rub over the mirror surface. Once that's done, rinse under a running tap, then stand the mirror, close to upright, and rinse with RO water( google it). I then use a rocket blower to get rid of the remaining water droplets.

Once done, reassemble the mirror back into it cell. If your cell uses clips/ clamps, only tighten the clamps to the point where you can still slip a Rizla/ cigarette paper between the clip and mirror surface. For those that are interested, a cigarette paper is approx 3 thousands of an inch thick. Once done re-install the mirror cell into the scope tube and collimate. You will generally not need to touch the secondary, too much, just the primary.

Get out there and get your scope ready for the new season, whether or not that includes cleaning the mirror?

IMG_0884.JPG

Well done, Ian. I've cleaned the mirrors on all my reflectors at some point. I've found that our tap water being very soft, there's no need for de-ionized. Those folk unfortunate enough to live in hard water areas should be wary of using their tap water, because it could leave a limy residue.

If you're not sure what sort of water area you live in, check the inside of your kettle - if it has white deposits in it then you're in a hard (limy) water area. If it's clean, then you're in a soft water area.

21 hours ago, Uplooker said:

I have cleaned my mirror! I know lots of people will say Noooooo!

It was a bit and I mean a lot dusty, but it also looked as if a snail had taken a shortcut across it, so I wanted to get rid of it so that the mirror/coatings were not affected.

I know that loads of people are really apprehensive about cleaning mirrors. It is right that a mirror needs to be really dirty before it will even remotely affect viewing.

As long as you are sensible and take care you will be fine.

One of the things that people ask about a lot is whether to use de-ionised or distilled water. Personally, after having soaked the mirror in warm water, with the smallest drop of washing up liquid, I use my already cleaned fingers to very gently rub over the mirror surface. Once that's done, rinse under a running tap, then stand the mirror, close to upright, and rinse with RO water( google it). I then use a rocket blower to get rid of the remaining water droplets.

Once done, reassemble the mirror back into it cell. If your cell uses clips/ clamps, only tighten the clamps to the point where you can still slip a Rizla/ cigarette paper between the clip and mirror surface. For those that are interested, a cigarette paper is approx 3 thousands of an inch thick. Once done re-install the mirror cell into the scope tube and collimate. You will generally not need to touch the secondary, too much, just the primary.

Get out there and get your scope ready for the new season, whether or not that includes cleaning the mirror?

IMG_0884.JPG

Aha.

What new season is this.

I never stop,grab them photons whenever.

Clearly longer nights is king.

Mick.

Archived