Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Evening everyone ,

Does anyone know the magnitude of the faint star just outside the Smoke Ring of M57 . Before the clouds rolled in tonight I was trying a new ES 8.8mm in the 200P and M57 looked really well at X 136 magnification , then the thought occurred to try it in the X 2 Barlow which gave a magnification of X 273 and , lo and behold , the Nebula was still clear but this time I could detect a faint star just outside it ( about 1 pm position ) 

Initially , the reason for trying this high magnification was to try and see the faint centre star but this was not possible tonight ... If I knew the magnitude of the peripheral star compared to the central star , then I`d know if it was possible to see the central star at all ( maybe in darker Winter skies ) 

It's magnitude 13.

I was observing M57 earlier as well and posted in this thread here which might be of interest:

The central star is magnitude 15.3. I had no luck with that with my 12" dob tonight. Got within half a magnitude though.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, John said:

It's magnitude 13.

I was observing M57 earlier as well and posted in this thread here which might be of interest:

The central star is magnitude 15.3. I had no luck with that with my 12" dob tonight. Got within half a magnitude though.

Many thanks for the info and link , John ... I screen capped it for future reference ...

I`m pleased with the magnitude 13 result and it`s not far off the magnitude of the 15.3 central star ... might just be doable under dark , clear Winter skies ... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Dwarfer said:

Many thanks for the info and link , John ... I screen capped it for future reference ...

I`m pleased with the magnitude 13 result and it`s not far off the magnitude of the 15.3 central star ... might just be doable under dark , clear Winter skies ... 

Nice catch :) 

Don't forget that the magnitude scale is logarithmic, each change in magnitude represents roughly x2.512 brighter or dimmer. The scale means a magnitude 1 star is 100 times brighter than a magnitude 6 star.

A mag 13 star is 8.3 times brighter than a mag 15.3 one, so it's actually pretty tough especially as it is set against the slightly higher surface brightness of the nebula.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

If the star you're referencing is the one mentioned. Is it?

597409c6eba71_Screenshot(257).thumb.png.8d07fdf15982dfce78ba7faacb9c58a3.png

TheSkyX Serious Edition

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks , Dave ... flipped 180 that`s the one outside the nebula at 12.30 - 1 pm position . 

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Set against the slightly higher surface brightness of the nebula

Yep , that guy John above couldn`t see it last night with a 12" Dob , so it will have to go down on the To Do List for further down the line ... it`s still great though to see those faint stars around the nebula , initially only with averted vision . 

Edited by Red Dwarfer
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lenscap
      Skysafari lists Delta2 Lyrae as a double, with magnitudes  4.28 & 11.20,      But search stelledoppie.it
      and this is a summary of the result; a multiple with 11 components potentially visible in an amateur scope.

This is my plot of the above data.

With a 200p F/5 in Bortle 8 skies/ average seeing, I have seen the 6 brightest components to mag 10.30. The mag 11.20 should be doable but has eluded me so far.
      I think that for my setup, the dimmest 4 stars will need darker skies or better eyes 😀
      If you are observing Delta2 Lyrae, how many components can you identify?
    • By alan4908
      My first attempt at M57.  I attempted to capture the extended halo by gathering some OIII and Ha data and then blending these into Blue and Red channels, respectively of an LRGB image.  The image below represents about 21 hours and was taken with my Esprit 150.
      Alan

LIGHTS: L:13, R:13,G:8. B: 10 x 600s; Ha:13, OIII:14 x 1800s. DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.
    • By Matteo
      The Ring Nebula 13/05/2018 01:39
      (2300 light years)
      GSO 0.20 m 
      Sky-Watcher NEQ-5 Pro SynScan mount
      QHY5L-IIC + IR cut filter / ASI 120MC + IR cut filter
      f: 1000 mm
      f/5
      Total exp: 25 min
      Combination of images obtained with the QHY5L-II and the new ASI 120MC (received from FLO) ?
      Matteo Vacca Milis, Italy http://vaccamatteo.weebly.com/ https://www.astrobin.com/users/matteovacca/

• By Victor Boesen
      Tonight was the best night out in a long time. The last couple of days the sky has been crystal clear, and today is friday, which meant nothing was on the schedule for tomorrow.
      Scope, filters and eyepieces:
      Today, I was using my one and only Skywatcher 10" dob, with my collection of explorer scientific 82 degree eyepieces. For the first time in a long time, I also used my CLS filter.
      Targets/observing:
      Before I headed out, I decided to have a look at skysafari 5 to see what I should have a look at this clear evening.
      Tonights list ended up including:
      M13
      M92
      M57
      M27
      M13 looked fabulous as always, but I can't quite bag the propeller. I was resolving stars nicely, even a couple in the center, when using averted vision. I think M13 looks the best at 136x and sometimes at 255x, however most of the times I think the image is too dark when observing at 255x.
      M92 was a surprise. Locating it was surprisingly easy, as I through the finderscope could just see it as a little faint dot. Looking at it through the scope was amazing. It was not as big as M13, but at 136x it looked very nice, and sometimes, it almost looked like the stars formed a smiley:-) Surprisingly I was also able to resolve a good amount of stars in this cluster, but not as many as in M13.
      Now I know this wasn't on the list but I thought I had to give it a go when I saw it on skysafari. NGC6229! Also located in Hercules, and via starhopping also easy to find. This was the smallest one of them all, but the most rewarding since this was my first object from the New General Catalogue (NGC). I was also using 136x at this target, because this is the most comfortable magnification in my opinion. I was only resolving one or two stars in this target, but it was easily visable, just as a bright smudge.
      M57 is by far my favorite object (out of the few objects I have seen). The contrast and shape of it gives me the WOW feeling everytime I observe it. Now this target I was observing comfortably at 255x and it looked amazing! Now this was where it popped in the CLS filter which almost made it look like the red outer-part of the nebula was visable, but this faded soon after. While observing this target for about 20min I was thinking if a UHC or a OIII would give me better or the same views?
      M27 was kind of disappointing, but I just think I have overestimated how it would look like, but it was still a very nice view it gave me at 136x and 85x. The dumbbell shape became more visable over time, but I think the thing I like more about M57 compared to M27 is the contrast between sky and nebula.

In the end it was one of my best nights I have had with my new (5 months old) scope. I have yet to try it at my grandma and grandpas' where the milky way is visable, and I am very excited to do just that.
      Clear skies!
      Victor Boesen
    • By Red Dwarfer
      Hello SGL , this is my first new topic and it is in relation to M57 in Lyra ... I have tried to see this Nebula in different scopes since starting " telescope astronomy " a couple of months ago but to no avail so far ... Might it just be the time of year with no truly dark skies in Midsummer ? I have had much more luck with DSOs in the form of star clusters , like for example the M29 in Cygnus last night while trying to find the Nebula near by ( again to no avail ) ... The equipment used last night was a Meade Infinity refractor 90mm 600mm f/6.7 and a 40mm Plossl for wide field views . 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.