Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 16200 - This should beat the heat!

RayD

On 15/07/2017 at 11:41, RayD said:

No problem at all. I'd be interested to find out myself. 

I use the mini USB ones myself, but these look like USB B, which I've not seen. 

20170715_121103.jpg

Looks brilliant, I use those right angle power sockets too. I like how you've used heat shrink tubing to keep them closed - the little O rings that come with them are somewhat inadequate :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Looks brilliant, I use those right angle power sockets too. I like how you've used heat shrink tubing to keep them closed - the little O rings that comes with them are somewhat inadequate :thumbsup:

Yes I wasn't convinced with them Rich.  The heat shrink is the water tight stuff, which has a small amount of adhesive inside which melts and adheres when you heat it.

That's a dream camera, can't wait to see some images. 

Also I never thought to look for right angled cables before looking at this thread. I've just ordered some straight away. :smiley:

Andy.

If I can add to the OT right angle USB discussion, they are the only way to go. I've used right angle USB and power connectors on all my kit, and then everything loomed and cable tied to the kit, in theory at least there should be no strain on the very fragile sockets. 

Back on topic, love the spec of the 16200 btw, looking forwards to results.

Huw

Yes look forward to the first light.  Been constantly cloudy of late.

I am still pretty convinced QSI683 is the way to go for me but my mind is not closed to other options and I have been reading a lot of good things about the Atik 16200.  My Atik 460 has not missed a beat since I bought it.

5 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Yes look forward to the first light.  Been constantly cloudy of late.

I am still pretty convinced QSI683 is the way to go for me but my mind is not closed to other options and I have been reading a lot of good things about the Atik 16200.  My Atik 460 has not missed a beat since I bought it.

I think if it wasn't for the fact the I had the Atik EFW2 and 2" filters already, I probably would have gone for the QSI, but the savings for me were substantial (knocking on for £1,000), so I couldn't really justify it.

I have to admit that I did also think about the support side and getting it back to Atik if it went wrong, or the Argon needed re-purging, would be a lot easier than shipping it to QSI.

Like you my 460 has been faultless, as have both of my EFW2's, so my confidence in Atik is pretty high.

Just need a little bit of clear sky now :thumbright:

4 hours ago, Horwig said:

Don't we all, clear and DARK would be very nice, I've forgotten how my kit works by now:icon_biggrin:

Huw

Tell me about it.  Looking quite clear in Nottingham at the moment.  Clear, blue evening sky....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got first light and as I already know my cooling issues are going to be resolved, I was keen to get a FOV perspective.  

Having been imaging the Pelican nebula in HA with my 460EX, I thought that would be an ideal test as I struggled to get it all in with that camera.  Certainly not the case with this camera now. Below is a single 1200s sub, and is literally a JPEG screen snip from SGPro as it was captured (hence the screen snip box in the middle) and is only to give you an idea of the FOV, which I'm pretty pleased with, as it's far enough away from the 460EX to make them both viable for different jobs.

I'll process the rest over the weekend and post the finished image.

5981eee76de63_CapturePel.thumb.JPG.fb8995b6c5eaf53014dc53f1ea26af7c.JPG

PS I know I have a satellite trail.  The other subs didn't so I will keep this one and remove the trail during processing as it's only a little one.

• 1 month later...

Very nice Ray!  Can you share the finished version?

I have gone for the QSI 683 WSG8 OAG version -  despite me moaning about the weather and resulting lack of justification etc.  I have the bonus money now, not sure when I will get another of this size, I am not currently married so no partner to get on board and I want a great, wide field camera that should see me through a good few years.  So I went for it - with LRGBHa3nm Astrodons for course ;)  Sometimes just have to get on with it and bite the bullet in life.

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Very nice Ray!  Can you share the finished version?

I have gone for the QSI 683 WSG8 OAG version -  despite me moaning about the weather and resulting lack of justification etc.  I have the bonus money now, not sure when I will get another of this size, I am not currently married so no partner to get on board and I want a great, wide field camera that should see me through a good few years.  So I went for it - with LRGBHa3nm Astrodons for course ;)  Sometimes just have to get on with it and bite the bullet in life.

That's actually a very good reminder for me to get on and finish the process on this Steve, thanks ?

The QSI seems to be a really great piece of kit.  I am really happy with the Atik on my Esprit, but I have ordered a Star 71 II for Spain to replace the TS 80 (going back home as a travel scope) as wide field here is just amazing.  I am going to couple that to exactly the same camera as you. The Atik is staying as a permanent fixture in the obsy back in the UK.  I have the same philosophy as you in that you can't take it with you, and my Grandchildren are already well catered for.  Not sure I can run to the Astrodons as well though ? so at the moment it is recycling the Baaders.  I do have the 3.5um HA in the Atik as they are all 2" and that seems pretty good so far, but of course I suspect not on par with the Astrodon, but then my processing skills are almost certainly the weak point, not my filters.

I'm in Spain at the moment and last night I started imaging at about 22:30 with the temperature at 23.5 degrees, and by 23:30 it was 24.7!  I'm hoping the QSI will be as good at cooling as the Atik is as it will be absolutely pushed to its limits I think.

You've certainly got some awesome set up there now, Steve.  All you need now are some lovely crisp and clear (and long) winter nights and you should be getting some superb data.  Certainly everyone I have seen with the QSI seems very happy with it.  I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

6 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I'm afraid that I've just got another QSI..... For the Spanish summers it really is a no brainer. I say that after using one for perhaps 3 years now.

Perhaps the bigger cameras will cool better, I would expect that.

Yes you would definitely know Sara.  Last night with the 460EX was a demonstration of how the smaller cameras struggle, as it literally just hit -5 at 100%, so was really struggling.

I did think of you when deciding in the QSI for here as clearly you have a very similar climate and manage perfectly with it.

I did consider the 16200 chip in that also, but after speaking with Ian King, have decided on the KAF8300.

The big Atiks do cool well. I can always make -15C with the full frame cameras, and usually -20C, but I'm significantly north of Sara and also at 900 metres, which helps.

Our 460 runs rather warm but a night time temp of over 20 C is rare here and, on the Sony chip, it doesn't seem to matter much. Cooler would be nicer, though, and I don't need that circular body since a Hyperstar is not on my shopping list!

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

The big Atiks do cool well. I can always make -15C with the full frame cameras, and usually -20C, but I'm significantly north of Sara and also at 900 metres, which helps.

Our 460 runs rather warm but a night time temp of over 20 C is rare here and, on the Sony chip, it doesn't seem to matter much. Cooler would be nicer, though, and I don't need that circular body since a Hyperstar is not on my shopping list!

Olly

Yes the 16200 is incredible for cooling Olly, I'm really very happy with it.  The 460EX I have found faultless too.  Last night, although it only managed -5 at 100%, a brief glance at the images this morning looked more than respectable from a noise perspective.

Whilst I am 700m up also, I am way down south and very sheltered, so night time temperatures are pretty high.  It was over 24 last night, and I'm expecting even warmer tonight as it's been 37 today.

I think Sara's success with the QSI in similar conditions to me here, along with the integral OAG has swayed me towards the QSI to work with my incoming Star 71 II for imaging whilst here.  I need some extensive lessons in processing now as I will definitely no longer be able to blame my tools ?

5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

My 460 has not missed a beat.  I thought long and hard but felt the QSI was the better all round package for me and I do not want to have to upgrade my babyQ FSQ to the 106 either to accomodate it.

You've made a good choice Steve :)

15 hours ago, RayD said:

snip>

I need some extensive lessons in processing now as I will definitely no longer be able to blame my tools ?

Tell me about it Ray!  I collect the data and then I'm kind of like "now what" when it comes to processing it all!  Well, not quite that bad, but need a lot of practice.

Archived