Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Pro payload limit

wigggyy

I have just realised that I am over the payload limit on my NEQ6 for imaging it is 18Kg I am now at 20Kg after adding extras I do balance 3 ways as I have a side by side set up but just wanted to see if others would worry about the extra 2Kg or am I worrying unduly thanks for any help

David

Hi David

I don't know what you want to use it for but I have no problems planetary imaging with my lx 200 12" sct + chain which is around 20 kg, so short exposure imaging or visiual fine, but if you want to use it for longer exposure imaging then maybe your well over the payload limit!

thanks for reply I am using it for DSO so doing long exposures I recently added efw filter wheel and checked weight and found it overweight it obviously was before the wheel I do make sure it is well balanced and it seems fine with guiding was just worried it might put a strain on the motors and gears and breaking something.

David 

• Like 1

Never heard of one breaking david no matter what the payload, if its seems ok guiding then stick with it , a friend of mine on this forum uses a C 11 + O A G + train on his neq6 & produces some ist class images!

The 18Kg payload limit is a guide as to what the mount will carry and still be usable for observations.
The actual limit will depend on the the length of the OTA and the focal length. A long tube and / or a long focal length will require you to be more conservative with the total weight.
If you are getting good results with your set up, all is well.

Mechanically I would think the mount would easily hold double the max figure without doing any damage.  

• 3 years later...
On 06/12/2020 at 07:59, Red baron said:

Can you put a p300 pds skywatcher on it with no problems thanks

Yes you can. I’ve done and I think at least 2 other members on here. It’s just right on the limit though and the slightest wind can knock it off.

5BF10856-0833-4310-8C7D-25D984925F1E.jpeg

Interestingly, because I track manufacturer specs for updating my mount comparison charts here, I know that Skywatcher used to specify 25kg visual for the mount (18kg imaging though), and users generally felt it could handle even more, but when they introduced the much more expensive AZ-EQ6 they removed any mention of the 25kg left the 18.2kg as "generic" capacity and specified just a bit more (20kg) for AZ-EQ6 to make it sound better. Not sure if the AZ-EQ6 can lift as much, I've seen the NEQ6 Pro with some impressive loads.

They did the same with the HEQ5 downgrading to 13.7kg from 15kg when they introduced the AZ-EQ5.