Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leica ASPH Zoom Question

John

I hope this is a simple question :icon_biggrin:

Can a Leica ASPH zoom with a 2" APM adapter be used with the Baader VIP barlow, or is some further adapter / accessory required ?

I realise that there are many combinations with the VIP barlow but, in general, will it interface OK with the 2" APM adapted Leica zoom ?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, If I remember correctly the APM adaptor has a T2 thread in the base of it so the VIP Barlow will screw into this when it is in its 1.25" barrel.  Somewhere on SGL I believe there is good info, I think from Yong about the different combinations which are possible.

John, pretty much as Stu states above. I did post a review a little while back and there was one eyepiece that when in the VIP's 2.3 X configuration I did not have enough inward focus travel, I believe it was the 8mm Ethos. All was fine with all the other configurations. 

Something to watch out for is the 1.25 barrel on the VIP can foul the mirror inside the diagonal so be cautious when you pop it in.

APM 2" adapters come with 2 different inne thread, T2 or M48(2" filter thread). VIP works with both. 

With T2 thread as mine, it's combinations shown in the thread Stu has linked to. With M48 thread, you can use the M48-T2 adapter in VIP to do the trick, as shown in the case for Baader Zoom in that thread.

22 minutes ago, Pig said:

Something to watch out for is the 1.25 barrel on the VIP can foul the mirror inside the diagonal so be cautious when you pop it in.

I shortened the barrel on a 1.25" adaptor for this very reason, particularly after damaging a Zeiss T2 Prism in the same way!!!

Thanks for that great feedback and info folks :icon_biggrin:

I did wonder about mirror / prism clearance - I recall your T2 "incident" I think Stu. Must have been darn annoying but I guess we have all done stuff like that from time to time :rolleyes2:

10 hours ago, John said:

Thanks for that great feedback and info folks :icon_biggrin:

I did wonder about mirror / prism clearance - I recall your T2 "incident" I think Stu. Must have been darn annoying but I guess we have all done stuff like that from time to time :rolleyes2:

You can test how deep an EP+barlow combination in EP receptacle by putting it outside the receptacle instead of inserting it, afterwards, You'll just need to keep the max length in mind.:smiley:

How well would a 2" 2x Powermate work with the ASPH zoom ?

I've found it excellent with Ethos / Naglers etc. Little or no change to the focus position as well.

I've not used Powermate so no idea how it works.

Main reason I choose VIP barlow is the short adaptation, with my modified VIP barlow, I can use Leica+VIP in 1.8x (4.9mm -9.8mm) in 2" Baader prism diagonal, of the EP length like a regular 2" EP.

There's also the 1.8x extender option John, which increases the Leica's range to 4.9mm-17.8mm. Bit pricier than a VIP, far less adaptable of course, but optically excellent - as is the VIP. I've just ordered a Starlight adapter which replaces the ADM equivalent and allows quick changes between native range and 1.8x. It all adds to the cost - though with an eyepiece this good, and which is in constant use, it's easier to justify upgrades.

image.jpg

12 hours ago, John said:

How well would a 2" 2x Powermate work with the ASPH zoom ?

I would try the powermate first John to see how it works- the Leica is very sharp on its own and with the VIP so any drop in performance should be noticeable.

7 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I would try the powermate first John to see how it works- the Leica is very sharp on its own and with the VIP so any drop in performance should be noticeable.

I don't actually have a Powermate at present - I've not been using them or barlows for the past 18 months or so.

If I move on the zoom I will need to move on a suitable focal extender to use with it as well - I'd probably use it more with the extender in place than in it's "native" form.

I would seriously consider the VIP then John, by luck or by chance these barlows seem to actually help many eyepieces along. I think they add no additional "filtering" (ie Suiter) and also get the eyepiece spot size in the strike zone for many EP/scope combos. Thats my complete guess anyway lol!

7 minutes ago, John said:

I'd probably use it more with the extender in place than in it's "native" form.

For this use, I would get the VIP then.

An advantage is that the VIP "enters" into the focuser somehow limiting the length of the whole thing. The couple Leica + powermate seems very long to me.. 

I never looked through the Leica ASPH, but on CN many reported that the VIP noticeably reduces EOFB of the Leica. I don't know if the powermate does the same. 

It would be good if somebody can give you some information about the focus position of the Leica and Leica + VIP compared to a TV eyepiece (e.g. an Ethos). With this information you know whether you will have (or not) focus issues when the VIP is added. 

19 minutes ago, jetstream said:

John, do you have the relative focus differences between the 21E/LZ/LZ+VIP?

Gerry - no, I've no idea of those.

The Ethos 21 and Nagler 31 seem to need the most inwards focuser travel of all my eyepieces so they are good yardsticks of whether I would have any focus issues with the zoom, with and without barlow.

46 minutes ago, John said:

Gerry - no, I've no idea of those.

The Ethos 21 and Nagler 31 seem to need the most inwards focuser travel of all my eyepieces so they are good yardsticks of whether I would have any focus issues with the zoom, with and without barlow.

I'll go out if conditions allow and check the LZ with the 21E. The LZ needs quite a lot of infocus.

12 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I'll go out if conditions allow and check the LZ with the 21E. The LZ needs quite a lot of infocus.

Thats very kind of you Gerry :icon_salut:

Ok John, its all your fault! I was all set to sell the LZ and now after using it again I don't want to let it go...:icon_biggrin:

Anyway, I checked a few common configs I use.

Compared to the 21E, the Lieca Aspheric native needs 4mm more infocus-toward the objective.

The LZ barlowed using the Baader adapter as shown in the top photo needs 3mm more infocus than the 21E.

The LZ with all the adapters as in the photo needs 10mm more infocus.

Man this eyepiece is sharp, I was using the 90mm APO triplet/prism diagonal and it took all the mag the LZ had with all the adapters... Saturn was showing Cassini superbly tonight and the planet seemed chiseled out of glass. Guaranteed the seeing tonight would have allowed the use of the HR2 2.4mm in the Raptor.

lz.jpg

lz1.jpg

Archived