Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mayak, Brightest star in the sky.

op47

I have seen several news reports about a Russian satellite that is due to be launched and is expected to be magnitude -10. I couldn't find any discussions, so I thought I would see if anyone knows what is really going on.

It's not likely to be mag -10. Apparently closer to -3.6 and not constantly either. From what I've read it's not actually that big, so shouldn't really be any more of a problem for us than the ISS is.

There have been a couple of threads about it

And

IFL Science has some more details, and in less dramatic terms than the other links http://www.iflscience.com/space/a-russian-mission-to-create-a-new-star-will-launch-in-two-weeks/

On it's own it's probably not a big issue because it won't be visible for the vast majority of the time. My fear is that this will lead to a competition to see who's clown-funded cube sat can be the brightest, and before we know it there'll be thousands of these idiotic things littering the night sky. But I'm probably just a grumpy old man :) 

I feel sorry for anyone doing AP with all these bits and pieces flying around over head. I did a review on an eyepiece over a period of time a few years back and counted 92, I believe it was, things crossing the field of view, aircraft make you jump as well, has that happen a good few times.

Alan

11 hours ago, alan potts said:

I feel sorry for anyone doing AP with all these bits and pieces flying around over head. I did a review on an eyepiece over a period of time a few years back and counted 92, I believe it was, things crossing the field of view, aircraft make you jump as well, has that happen a good few times.

Alan

I've been startled by aircraft silently flashing across the field of view. I think the last time was whilst viewing the sun in white light. My brain didn't catch up with it until a few moments after it had passed and I was left looking at the sun through a swirling contrail.

Archived