Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 17/6/17

mikeDnight

This sketch represents the best view of Saturn I've had for a long time. The seeing seemed to be getting better as the night went on and, the scope maintained a sharp image for most of the observation despite the ridiculously low angle of the planet at the time of observation. A shadow of what it would be like if it were high in our skies, Saturn was still a pleasant object to study. Giving an indication of the clarity and stableness of the seeing the Crepe ring was obvious in both the preceeding and following anse. The NEB appeared to me to be more intense towards the preceeding limb and appeared to be split. Shadows of the rings on the globe and globe on the rings appeared sharp and well defined.

2017-06-18 19.05.32.jpg

Hi  Mike,  another excellent drawing of  Saturn through your TAK. I managed my first brief look at saturn this opposition on Saturday evening through my 130mm f6  APO,  barely visible through the encroaching tree tops, which meant moving the telescope and mount from one location to another on several occasions. Yet, surprisingly enough the seeing was not too bad, especially on low power, nb. my best view was at just   x 100. The north polar hood and equatorial belts were prominent, as was the CD, but little else. Unfortunately there was no opportunity to produce a sketch.  I also viewed Saturn under similar circumstances last night, but the seeing was not nearly as good as the previous night, never mind. Looking forward to your next sketch.    best wishes   Chris.

Great sketch Mike!

I had similar views of Saturn this weekend, but I was helped by aperture and the lower latitude in Italy. 

As your sketch shows, Saturn can be really amazing when the sky conditions are good!

Thanks chaps,

I'm glad you both had a chance to get a look at Saturn. When I observed it its angle was 26.6° so i chose a 27° template. I'm not really happy with the sketch but I rarely ever am. I'm just happy I had a good view under good conditions, but its going to be a few years yet before Saturn is high enough in our UK skies to be truly spectacular. If I do get another good view I'll probably make another sketch but the seeing would have to be good. May be I'll move to Italy! :icon_biggrin:

That's quite a talent you have there. It'll be interesting when the boat with all our gear finally makes its way to these northern shores. I'll have to get used to crouching with the Dobs to see things like Saturn that used to be so much higher...

Regardless whether I master the stooping skills required for the UK, I will forever be a talentless sketcher !!

Really nice sketch, the elliptical shape is awesome. I see shades variances on the planet which I also saw last Wednesday, the conditions were really really good.  Great replica of shades and shadows, it's very realistic. :happy10:

I've had a couple of looks at Saturn in the last couple of weeks but now looking at this amazing sketch and really insightful notes is making me think there is a lot more to see than my limited powers of concentration/attention have been noticing. The next time I'm out in half decent conditions I'm going to give it more time.

Archived