Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Johnson approaches

A year and a half after be discovered by Jess Johnson through Catalina Sky Survey telescopes and after travel 750 million kilometers, the comet C/2015 V2 (Johnson) approaches to inner of Solar Sistem these days, being observable by means of binoculars. While by astrophotography can be seen with much more detail, as in this widefield image in which can see its dust tail departing toward northwest (to bottom right) and its more faint ionic tail to south toward the brightest star Delta Bootis at left.

2015V2_170517_1200.jpg
Takahashi FSQ-106ED f/5.0 & SBIG STL-11000M (L:3×300s Bin1 + RGB:1x120s Bin2) from Mayhill, New Mexico (USA)

I was hoping to re-image this over the weekend, but sadly I think its going to be close to being obscured from my location by now. Still glad to have seen and imaged my first comet and I think I may be hooked on comets.

Nice image by the way!

Steve

Forecast is for good weather for this week-end in the North of England ( ... and the Moon is waning away....)  So maybe a chance to image.   Let's hope so.

Late twilight may scupper things...but hey ho!!!    lets give it a shot....

Here's my input for what it's worth.

I've always been interested in astronomy  (initially visual), however my number 1 passion has been photography. 

Following the original "BBC Star Gazing Live" episode, this inspired me to try astrophotography with a DSLR (Nikon D200+ various lenses) using an Astrotrac system +DSLR (non-cooled and non-modified). I was proud with my first astro-photo's (using DSS to align, and PSE to process) but soon realised the limitations of my capture gear and migrated to a QHYL8 (OSC) and up-graded mount, which was cooled with a similar pixel count to my Nikon D200 at the time.

There was  a 100% improvement in detail of my captures, but no where near the resolution and depth of what I've seen posted previously using Mono systems (LRGB).

I decided to invest in a Monochrome + filter system, and can say that the quality of my photo's has increased (more depth, Narrowband capability,  more detail etc), but I would say the processing time has increased ( not sure whether it's trying to compare with the "master's" aka Olly) , but the quality using Mono (personal subjective opinion) has increased.

The only time I have cursed myself for not using a OSC is during a recent (May 2017) capture of  Comet C/2015 V2 (Johnson); this was captured using Baader RGB filters, and processsed  (as seperate RGB files)using Pixinsight+various tutorial methods and script versions.

It comes nowhere near the OSC capture images available on this site.   (see attached; multiple artefacts; over stretched; poor pre and post-processing).

Similarly, Wide-Field Milky-Way shots appear better using my OSC (QHY8L) rather than using my mono system (ATIL 460 +EFW2) and are easier to processs; Anything else, then it's LRGB (Mono)  all the way for me.

post.jpg

19 hours ago, pc387 said:

Here's my input for what it's worth.

I've always been interested in astronomy  (initially visual), however my number 1 passion has been photography. 

Following the original "BBC Star Gazing Live" episode, this inspired me to try astrophotography with a DSLR (Nikon D200+ various lenses) using an Astrotrac system +DSLR (non-cooled and non-modified). I was proud with my first astro-photo's (using DSS to align, and PSE to process) but soon realised the limitations of my capture gear and migrated to a QHYL8 (OSC) and up-graded mount, which was cooled with a similar pixel count to my Nikon D200 at the time.

There was  a 100% improvement in detail of my captures, but no where near the resolution and depth of what I've seen posted previously using Mono systems (LRGB).

I decided to invest in a Monochrome + filter system, and can say that the quality of my photo's has increased (more depth, Narrowband capability,  more detail etc), but I would say the processing time has increased ( not sure whether it's trying to compare with the "master's" aka Olly) , but the quality using Mono (personal subjective opinion) has increased.

The only time I have cursed myself for not using a OSC is during a recent (May 2017) capture of  Comet C/2015 V2 (Johnson); this was captured using Baader RGB filters, and processsed  (as seperate RGB files)using Pixinsight+various tutorial methods and script versions.

It comes nowhere near the OSC capture images available on this site.   (see attached; multiple artefacts; over stretched; poor pre and post-processing).

Similarly, Wide-Field Milky-Way shots appear better using my OSC (QHY8L) rather than using my mono system (ATIL 460 +EFW2) and are easier to processs; Anything else, then it's LRGB (Mono)  all the way for me.

post.jpg

I usually bag comets with OSC either Atik 4000 or DSLR makes processing easier.

Dave

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I usually bag comets with OSC either Atik 4000 or DSLR makes processing easier.

Dave

You must have an incredibly large bag, Dave.   :rolleyes2:

Archived