NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apeture comparison

A 8" telescope has nearly twice the light gathering potential compared to a 6". Things that are just visible in the 6" will be easy in the 8" and the 8" will bring into view objects that are invisible in the 6". A worthwhile upgrade.  :icon_biggrin:

Depends what type scope your comparing , SCT's , refractors, dobs' or Newtonian ? The bigger a scope the more light absorbing it is which makes your object easier to see and a little larger in size . What you should compare more closely is quality of scope and glass used . The main thing to remember is the bigger the scope the smaller the FOV you can see . 

As we increase aperture we increase image scale and that will allow deep sky objects  previously too small and faint to be seen to 'pop' into view. It will also mean that objects we could already see will be bigger and therefor we can see more detail within them.

How much more is dependent on your eyes. your observing site, and the object itself. ;) 

An 8" telescope is what many call a 'lifetime telescope.' This is as with 8" of aperture, you have the light-gathering ability to show one a new and fascinating object in deep-space - and show it well - every night for the rest of one's life.

Some varieties of telescopes, such as cassegrains or refractors, are better for certain types of objects - and others are best for yet other things out there. This serves to explain why many of us have more than one telescope - as my signature below indicates.

Enjoy your journey to the stars -

Dave

17 minutes ago, kornkobgrunt said:

Thanks for the help :icon_biggrin:! To avoid breaking the bank, what if I purchased an Orion Skyquest XT8?

Then you will have purchased an excellent 8" scope  :icon_salut:

Welcome to Dobsville :thumbright:

XT8 is an excellent Scope.

You will get breathtaking views of open clusters like M35, M44, Auriga Clusters, the double cluster and dozens more.

At Your latitude youll also have excellent views of globular clusters, even M22 will be reasonable high in the sky.

And of course galaxies and planets.... a Lifetime of Objects to observe :happy11:.

At the start of the year I progressed from an 150P to a S/W 200 truss tube GOTO not expecting the view to be markedly different as the usual advice is that a four inch increase is necessary. I have been blown away with the views, especially various open clusters and globs. 

Good luck and enjoy your observing.

Not sure what the prices are now, but when I was looking at purchasing a lovely Orion XT8, Wolfi at TS helpfully pointed out that I could get the Skywatcher 250px solid tube for nearly the same price - 56% more light for hunting DSOs :thumbsup:

Yes, I was going to say, if you are getting a dob, why not get a 10" (250mm) if it is within your budget - they are still light enough for one person to move around, not too big to store, and you will get even more light gathering power.  

It's when you get to 12" (300mm) that weight and portability tend to become a problem - plus cost of course...

Archived