NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon, Jupiter and the ISS - 3 June 2017

DRT

I have just been out looking at Jupiter and the Moon through my OMC140. I have my Altair Starwave and a 55mm TV Plossl on the other side of the Ercole as a mega finder and to provide a wide field view of Jupiter and the Moon in the same FOV.

A  few minutes ago the ISS appeared just above the roof of my house and headed straight towards the position of the Moon. I watched through the Altair 152 as it sailed gracefully through the gap between the Moon and Jupiter and then tracked it until it disappeared in the south east.

A very lucky co-incidence that I was out at the time this happened but it was great to see these three objects together and a fantastic first light for my TV 55mm :grin: 

I missed the iss, looking at the time it went past I was packing up and coming in!

It was a good night for the moon and Jupiter though and with a nice bright double nearby - gamma Virginis.

6 minutes ago, Paz said:

I missed the iss, looking at the time it went past I was packing up and coming in!

It was a good night for the moon and Jupiter though and with a nice bright double nearby - gamma Virginis.

The seeing is quite good here and it has been the first opportunity I have had to use my OMC140 in anger and I must say I am pleased with the results. I even managed a clear view of the GRS during daylight :smile: 

Good seeing here, the moon has been highly engaging through my TV76 / 4mm DeLite, Copernicus a pivotal focal point among an observational feast. Saw various things whizzing past but missed the ISS must have been quite a sight in that circumstance. Also caught the start of the Ganymede transit. Split Izar, never thought to consider other doubles such as gamma Virginis, will look that up. Became a bit mushy and shed began to get in the way, rabbits now got the yard back to themselves.  

Had an enjoyable few minutes this morning trying to determine the fast retrograde satellite that buzzed the moon and Jupiter just before the ISS flyby. It turns out I can't focus my camera worth a damn, and it has the wrong time set. Turns out it was NANOSAT-1.  Worth keeping an eye out for. Fast...bright...going in the wrong direction:

5933db20f2f42_Screenshot2017-06-0411_03_24.thumb.png.fe65dcfa7b680de3248d7639d2fa8db0.png   5933db33beb4a_Screenshot2017-06-0411_03_39.thumb.png.59b66a5b841a019c01f43c283f8e9051.png

Archived