Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FLO do you take Paypal yet

beamer3.6m

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I should poke my oar in here, only to say that it may be unfair for FLO to offer Paypal AND still offer the most generous discounts to SGL members that he has in the past.

Every extra service is an extra cost which eats into the profits little by little, and while we all appreciate a bargain :) FLO is a business with the aim of making money to feed the little mouths. I think it would be only right that the convenience of paying by Paypal should be viewed as a perk in itself, and its own reward.

We already struggle to find a cheaper supplier of astro goods, and that means that FLO's margins are less than the average. It's pretty tough in business at the moment, lets not make it harder by being too demanding! :clouds2:

Cheers

TJ

I was only asking as I know that FLO intend to make paypal available in the future, at least I am sure that was said on the forums before by Steve.

Plus, its a great service as paypal is a popular method of buying and selling over the internet and also allows people without credit cards (yes there are many, for example younger members on the forum who have sold items on ebay etc etc or to friends etc) to trade with good quality shops.

As for costs, do credit cards not charge a fee to be processed etc in any event. FLO is cheap I grant you but I cannot see that Paypal will eat into those profits too much as the fees are relatively low (depending on trade flow).

However, lets not fight about it.

Why add 4% to the transaction?

I am not being rude to FLO or any other trader, but this is a fee to borne by the retailer not the buyer.

How much does it cost to accept and process credit card payments out of interest, I have always wanted to know this.

Maybe it's the lack of clear skies, but it seems that there is a certain amount of, er, grumpiness just lately.....first there was the intolerance towards a new member asking questions (and who almost left the forum as a result), and now this for simply asking a question about payment methods.....c'mon guys - this was always a friendly place - let's keep it that way, eh? :clouds2::) :)

Blimey, I only left the PC long enough to play with the kids before they went to bed :clouds2:

Yes, PayPal will be added to FLO because that is what a number of you have requested :salute: :)

Paypal does take a slice of the margin. All card types take something, as does the bank, Protx, the site's host, and so on. All things considered we lose between 3 and 5 percent of all transactions, and thats before we consider all the other costs of running a business.

But we're still here, and we are intent on enjoying every minute of it :)

Actually, I have probably caused the confusion because I said a while back that Paypal would be added to our new website, which hasn't been launched.

Grant did his part (building the new site) in his usual super-fast and efficient manner but then things quickly slowed when it came to me filling it with all the new imaging products - pictures, text, charts, pricing, option tables, and the like. I under anticipated the amount of work required, and then the new astro season started!

Two launch dates have already passed but I am endeavouring to have it ready for next Monday ..... I hope!

Thank-you for your patience :clouds2:

Great, thanks Steve.

In answer to your question Beamer (please dont think I was being grumpy either btw :clouds2: ) about the credit card charges, well it varies from supplier to supplier.

I'm not sure about FLO and how the system works over the internet, but at our place we have two terminals, and they cost around £20 per month each to rent.

On top of that there is a percentage charge of the transaction. Debit cards are friendlier, they generally have a fixed rate charge, at the moment we pay around 28pence per DEBIT card transaction.

Credit cards are the problem, they charge anything from 1.2% up to around 4% (Amex/Diners). I will not accept American Express cards because of this, after all, why should I pay for someone elses air miles?

Usually, small businesses like FLO can get a little relief by joining a trade organisation, who negotiate a better rate with a bank for its members. Last year we joined the HTA and switched Credit Card transactions from Barclays to HSBC, and in the process HALVED our annual bill. This saved us over a thousand quid, and more than made the membership fee worthwhile.

It wouldn't affect FLO I shouldn't think, but even CASH costs you money, every time you bank it. And business bank accounts charge through the nose for every service.

Whatever you do to try and earn an honest buck, there's always a queue of people waiting for their cut. :crybaby:

Cheers

TJ

I'm still waiting to see an image from Steve after getting his camera modded????????

We will be there 21 sep until some time in october, so should be plenty opportunities.

While you are here Steve, would you like a promotional banner making for FLO for Kelling? If there is enough stuff at work I should be able to get Rod to make you one if you like (FOC naturally), or is your presence well enough known amongst the madding kelling crowd anyways???? Just let me know, PM or something if I can help.

TJ

Archived