SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UK skies

geordie85

Just come in as well, had a busy evening trying to video Jupiter while PA ing and running a model on the 10Micron then taking a couple of subs of the Elephant Trunk neb and finished off with a quick scan around with bin's.

Hope there's someone out there looking back :grin:

Have to make the most of clear skies.

Dave

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completed the run on M13, now just finishing off a quick 30 min run on the Witch's Broom with the 3nm Astrodon.

Been running the ASI on the 130 at f/7 and max dr setting.

Will pack in and turn in shortly. Don't want to but I've been up since 6.20 this morning and I'm now a bit tired.

It's been a fab week. Starting on Sunday, I've been out every night except Tuesday. It's allowed me to really get my finding process down using the S&T pocket sky atlas and Telrad. M13 at high mag, comet Johnson and a lucky pass of the ISS right through the eyepiece have been the highlights but that takes nothing away from all the other amazing things I've seen!

I'm afraid astronomy has had to take a back seat lately due to serious household and other problems but I tend not to bother much at this time of year due to the short nights.  When I get time for astro stuff I plan to sort the gear out ready for the autumn.

Alas you missed some amazing sky quality, Gina.

To finish last night I tried for the Elephant Trunk, although where it would be is near my limit due to LP, but it was behind a tree at 2:00, so I did an hour on the NAN, let's hope I still have my subs from last year?

I was getting very cross with the sky as Saturn was refusing to appear in my bins, until I realsied 'Antares' was Saturn, and that's why I ended up looking at a wall the night before when I slewed from 'Antares' to M16.

So I took  120 frames of Saturn to finish off a little while after 3:00am as the sky started to lighten. Not convince that will give me a brilliant image, as its only a few pixels wide!

I don't know about the nights but the days have been superb. Thursday in particular I was astonished to be using far higher than usual magnification on the sun with little to none interference from seeing conditions. My PST mod could have easily gone way beyond the available 8mm on the Baader MKIV (x125) Even when I got home later in the day my little 60mm Lunt was happy at x100 and as for my ST120 & wedge I was in to the usually unthought of x200 range while still seeing granulation clearly. I just wish these conditions were more often than they are. It is though comforting to know my skies haven't totally gone to pot as had previously been thought. 

Got another 20 min or so to go on the Witch's Broom but I'm not convinced it'll be worth it. Humidity is going up and I'm having to run the dew bands, plus I can see streaks of high cloud going over.

I may park this target until the back end of summer when it'll be higher and the nights darker. I think I'll work on M13 for now.

Archived