SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UK skies

geordie85

I don't know about every one else's skies tonight but mine is remarkably clear. Stars seem so much brighter, and alot more of them than I usually see from my back garden.

I'm usually under bortle 4/5  but tonight is easily a 3. Hope your all enjoying tonight as much as I am. I'm gonna be tired at work tomorrow. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much bright here and the birds are singing, and its only 0326.  It was much the same at 0020  whilst observing Jupiter, and soon it will  be time to hibernate the scope?

This is my view looking North..........and no! nothing is rising?  that's one of my street lamps.

IMG_1349.JPG

just come in now its starting to get a lot lighter ,its a lovely morning the blackbirds are begining start the dawn chorus and its cooled off so i might be able to get some kip in a bit.

Superb last night, seeing conditions were excellent in my corner of Berkshire. Took the C9.25 out and started with a bit of a glob fest, M5 looked superb and M13 was spectacular, can't remember seeing it so good. Hunted down a number of others I haven't seen in a while before moving into the galaxies and nebs. Saw the ring neb, cats eye neb, and a new one to me something the SSA list had, the blue snowball. Many others as well but it was one of those rare nights when it all comes together. No moon, no lights, excellent clear sky and excellent seeing conditions and the kit works without a hitch. Best night of the year so far ?

Yup! They sky was (and still is) great here too! 

Looking forward to observing the Sun this evening and some targets tonight! 

Last night M12 was quite nice at 23.30. 

59 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Been a very good period including tonight, I feel now that I have finished work, obliged to make the effort to venture on a season finale dark sky trip.

Come to Millshield, We are there tonight from 9.30

4 hours ago, m.tweedy said:

Come to Millshield, We are there tonight from 9.30

Hi Michael thanks for the invite, just read this, intent on planning on heading up to Battle Hill, will look forward to catching up another time, have a good night.

6 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Can't be bothered at this time of year. It takes so long to get dark that dawn is breaking before it does.

Good weather to be testing kit though...

You are missing out on lots of opportunity then, skies have been great recently.

Having a go at imaging M13. Not the most brilliant conditions but I need my imaging fix!

At least I don't have to be up at stupid o/c on a weekend.

On half-term holiday. Guess what the forecast for the rest of the week is. Yeah, right:cussing:.

It's becoming apparent that the LP in parts of my sky is a worse effect on my imaging than the fact it's nautical rather than astro dark. the big downer at the moment is that the camera is a rather warm, so my subs are a bit noisy. That said, I'm currently trying to image three utterly obscure dark nebulas in Hercules and absolutely nothing is showing on the subs! I'll give it another hour, and then head for Sadr.

Saw the ISS pass at 11.56 forewarned by CO, always cheers me up.

Got another 25 min on M13 then I may have a quick look at the Witch's Broom to see how it fits for a later run.

Deffo going to need an autofocuser as I fear some subs are out of focus.

Bother, more expence.

I have just come back in, my neck aches!

The sky is incredible tonight, although I can't see the milky way the stars seem as clear and steady as I have ever seen them. It's the first time I have seen all of Ursa Minor and Draco - I have been missing UM because I didn't realise it was so big, and once I found it Draco became obvious as a big S-shape curling around it. Lots of smaller stars around the constellations. By leaning back against the shed and conservatory I managed to do  some binocular observing too. M13 looked HUGE although I couldn't see stars in it. I couldn't find M101, but I've just been staring at stars until my mind goes weird thinking about distances and other worlds and their wonders. Very zen...

Archived