Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using dew straps without controller

As you have it, they will run "full on" all the time, and will likely get things too hot, and has the potential to drain you power source (batteries ?) quicker ....  using a simple controller(s) will give you more flexibility.

There are Arduino controlled ones and what I use, the cheap LED dimmers from the bay.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you should use a controller with any scope that is smaller than 10" aperture to avoid overheating. I don't use a controller on my C11.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light-Protect-Lamps-Strip-Dimmer-Adjustable-Bright-Controller-12V-24V-8A-XG-/112344774695?hash=item1a28453827:g:x2kAAOSwo4pYJE0c 

They can easily be removed from the case & bolted into another case to suit your needs. I use them in pairs for multiple dew strips

Super. So one per dew strap?

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Adam, I use the same led dimmer as control for my heaters on my ed100, make control easy and for once in astronomy, cheap.

Transfered into a marlins small adaptable box.

IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.8aed7bb520ac5415851a2701985bf7fa.JPG

That's fantastic looking Alan. Did you take photos of the build as you did it? I'd like to see the wiring if you have photos!

Adam, sorry no photos as I went, just a rebox and some soldering involved, I am not a electronics wiz, just a diy person.

Did it in a couple of hours, nice and slow, lots of online examples of led dimmer controllers if you google away.

It really is easy.

Julians above is far neater inside than my effort.

57 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That's the way I use them, but I've fitted dual outputs i.e. 

IMG_2017_05_20_0358.JPG

Those aren't the same dimmer controller PCB's as linked to above, where is the green wiring block ?  but they look better so where did you get those from....? :)

Ordered all the bits bar a box. Can anyone provide me with dimensions of the black units above and if possible the actual white dimmer single boxes before taken apart!

The dimmers are coming from china at £1.49 including postage so a few weeks wait  I'd like to have box ordered at same time if possible  

4 hours ago, Alien_Photons said:

I have two strips and no controller the scope never gets hot and I never get dew. Making one is a nice project add in a thermometer with red leds while your at it.

Sounds nice. How would I go about doing that?

• 3 months later...

Archived