Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC4725 and PN in collaboration with Gnomus.

ollypenrice

Gnomus, that fine fellow, kindly went in seach of Astrodon quality OIII to help define the planetary nebula found near the one armed spiral NGC4725. This PN (they all have such seductive names...) is PN G339.9 9+88.4 though it is known to its more intimate friends as LoTr 5. The tidally disrupted galaxy is NGC4747.

Although I don't have an Astrodon OIII I did try my 3Nm Ha on this but called it a day after 8x30 minutes proved to be all but a waste of time.

Processing Steve's 7 hours of data involved a level of brutality one stop short of waterboarding but, since it would only be seen resampled downwards to fit this image, I could go for it. I'm confident that the structures now seen are real enough.

This was the swansong of the TEC/Avalon setup, the TEC now riding on a Mesu 200.

590708474c42e_NGC4725plusPNSteveMilneweb.thumb.jpg.aef4c9552f13197bdf843f0f75b22491.jpg

Olly

13 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

... though it is known to its more intimate friends as LoTr 5....

I think you're losing it Olly,  There were only 3 LoTr movies.

A most interesting capture :) Well spotted on the target Olly and good on you Steve for going after it :) I have often thought when I'm at a loose end to point the scope and OIII filter at random parts of the sky and see if there's anything there waiting to be discovered!! I'm sure that around the main galaxy type and cluster targets that so few people use a OIII filter that there's bound to be lurking stuff :) 

13 minutes ago, swag72 said:

A most interesting capture :) Well spotted on the target Olly and good on you Steve for going after it :) I have often thought when I'm at a loose end to point the scope and OIII filter at random parts of the sky and see if there's anything there waiting to be discovered!! I'm sure that around the main galaxy type and cluster targets that so few people use a OIII filter that there's bound to be lurking stuff :) 

Quite right. There is an entire sub culture of PN hunters and I'm sure there will be others still to turn up.

Olly

This knocked me off my chair Olly. Great stuff! Never heared of the PN before. I just imaged the region a couple of nights ago, I should have done it with the FSQ and not with the big newt. 

Jens

Glad you like it, folks. Steve just sent me his own version which gave the DSOs a bit more brightness and flair, so I went back to give mine a tweak. I had a look at the background sky while I was in there.

NGC4725%20plus%20PN%20Steve%20Milne%20we

Olly

Archived