Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Post-First Telescope

Hello :) I'm new to astronomy (and to this board) and was hoping for some advice. I've recently become interested in astronomy and want to buy a telescope, but I've now read so much info and looked at so many different telescopes that I'm having a bit of an information overload and now cannot decide if the telescope I'm considering buying in any good. Just wondered if you could give me your advice, would this scope be a good first scope? Or would there be another for around the same price that you would recommend?

thanks a lot in advance, chris

SkyLiner-150 153mm (6) f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48 & x120

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x306

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 153mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/7.84)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

Parabolic Primary Mirror

Diffraction Limited Optics

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

6x30 Finderscope

Direct SLR Camera Connection

Wooden Alt-Azimuth Mount with Accessory Tray

73% more Light Gathering than 114mm

£150

Hello Chris - and a very warm welcome to "SGL"

You will receive plenty of friendly and genuine advice from everyone on this forum!

You say you are suffering a bit of "overload" after studying all the many different scopes on offer. I'm sure 99% are all very good scopes in their own right, and the one you specifically mention "The Skyliner 150 Dobsonian," is an excellent scope to start off with!

However, before you rush out to buy one, have you considered such things as:-

Have you a good flat surface to base the scope on? (a paved area in your back garden).

Do you have somewhere secure and dry to store your scope - and get it out easily to use it?

Are you going to be wanting to take photographs of what you see?

There are many other considerations you may need to give some thought to before buying (sorry to add more burdons!).

However, as I mentioned earlier, you will recieve plenty of help and advice - very soon!

Best wishes on whatevr you eventually choose - I'm 100% sure you will obtain great pleasure from the scope you buy.

Regards,

philsail1

If you decide against the Dob (not saying it's a bad scope, it is very good) you might want to consider the Skywatcher 130pm. An excellent scope, motor driven and on a tripod, so the need for flat ground is less of a problem!

I'm not connected, it's just the 130 was my first ever scope and I rue the day I treded it in for a Meade ETX-70AT :)

Hi Chris, whatever you decide, you won't go far wrong with a Skywatcher Scope. Try and go for the largest aperture you can afford, you will be surprised what difference a 6" is to a 4.5" and will only cost you a little more.

Welcome to SGL. :wave:

Geoff. :salute:

That is a nice scope you have chosen, especially as a first instrument. The Dobsonian mount is an uncomplicated partner to a 6" f8 reflecting telescope. It will deliver some pleasing sights to your eye, of the Moon, planets, double stars, and some of the brighter Deep Sky Objects.

It will do the job as a great learning tool, and test your Astro ambitions. Once you have mastered all the basic stuff, like object finding, learning your way around the sky etc.

You may wish to step up to another level. It is a long road, and can make demands on your wallet, that's a good reason to start modestly, and work your way forward.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Good Luck.

Ron. :)

Another thing to consider is what are you planning to look at?

Planets, moon you might consider a good refractor on a sturdy EQ mount.

For the above but including Deep space objects definetly you will need a dob.

If you go for a dob you have to think EQ mont or basic dob mount.

I'm not much help am I

Hi , I am also new to site and Astronomy. I was given a Bresser Venus- 700 76mm as a present but after reading Stargazing with a telescope .Robin Scagell .It seems that the

aperture may not be big enough and the view finder 5x24 the same . I like the sound of the one Chris is considering more .I would be grateful for an opinion if as a beginners telescope this is just going to be frustrating. Thank you . Rosie

Welcome to SGL Chris! :clouds2:

Sounds like you've got a good choice of scope to think about. The only thing I would say is if you can scratch some more money together then have a think about the 200, the extra 2" of aperture will make quite a difference to what you can see.

With the Dobs you've always got the option of mounting the tube on an EQ mount later on if you find the need. Good luck!

Sam

.... cannot decide if the telescope I'm considering buying in any good. Just wondered if you could give me your advice, would this scope be a good first scope?

Hi Chris,

Yes, the Skyliner 150p an excellent telescope. As a Dobsonian it is quick and easy to setup and if at a later date you fancy the convenience of a motor-drive or want to try astro-imaging then it can be lifted off its base, fitted with some tube-rings and a dovetail and placed on a suitable German Equatorial mount. The telescope itself is the same as the Explorer 150PL.

Here is review by Ade Ashford

HTH,

Steve

Just to support what everyone is saying, a friend of mine who is considered an advanced amateur astronomer used this scope exclusively for many years, and enjoyed excellent results. He had only two eyepieces, both of which were Pentaxes, and cost more than the scope.

Archived