SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid flyby

Ger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3:00 am looks a good time here, if it's clear. Beta Coma Berenices should be realtively straightforward to find and the asteroid will be in the same FoV although a lot fainter.

3 hours ago, Ger said:

Can anyone provide any information on how best to look the asteroid that is on a flyby today and tomorrow. Will the details be on stellarium, 

You can download it to Stellarium using the solar system configuration plug in.

Dave

3 hours ago, John said:

3:00 am looks a good time here, if it's clear. Beta Coma Berenices should be realtively straightforward to find and the asteroid will be in the same FoV although a lot fainter.

Why 3am John, weather or easier to find given nearby stars?

I doubt I will be out that late, will try it with the Goto if the clouds stay off

Just wasted an hour of clear sky looking at patches of sky that the asterioid would pass through an hour later - forgot to convert my finder chart UT times into BST :rolleyes2:

And now guess what - it's clouded over :mad:

Oh boy do I feel stupid ! :o

Maybe it will clear again later ?

Managed to catch it at 10pm (BST!!) in a very hazy sky. Really quite remarkable; it seemed to me like a sped-up animation of a much slower moving asteroid. Quite surreal to see in the eyepiece. Definitely discernible movement. I tracked it for just over 5 minutes before I looked away for a while and then couldn't find it again. First asteroid I've ever seen - and what a starter!!

18 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Managed to catch it at 10pm (BST!!) in a very hazy sky. Really quite remarkable; it seemed to me like a sped-up animation of a much slower moving asteroid. Quite surreal to see in the eyepiece. Definitely discernible movement. I tracked it for just over 5 minutes before I looked away for a while and then couldn't find it again. First asteroid I've ever seen - and what a starter!!

Well done Paul !

Hoping for another clear patch here.

Got it ! (just :rolleyes2:)

Bang on where the Astronomy Now chart predicts and moving slowly but discernably amongst the background stars. Stop looking for 30 secs or so and then look again to see that the position angle between the suspect and the other stars has changed and repeat :icon_biggrin:

Lots of cloud here so I'm lucky to have a little clearance now and then.

Had great fun here. Hazy clouds at best, thicker at times. Tracked it for about half an hour I reckon, really quite amazing how fast it went! Will write up a report separately :) 

Nice one Stu !

Clearer here again now so I've been tracking it again for 5 mins or so. Fascinating to watch it close in on a background star, draw level and then leave it in it's wake. :icon_biggrin:

I guess the asteroid is about as big as the town I live in but just over a million miles away. Good fun :icon_biggrin: (glad it's that far off though !)

More clouds so I've packed in now. Fun though :smiley:

I'll look forward to reading your report Stu.

I thought I'd blown my chance this evening by forgetting about BST but luckily I got another shot at it !

Archived